Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Side by Side Freezer not cooling

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 melvey

melvey

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:54 AM

The temp in the freezer side is not cold enough at about 20 degrees, and the fresh food side is about normal at 45 degrees.  The compressor runs constantly. 

So far I have replaced the defrost timer (continuity problem) and the temperature control.  Still no difference. The coils are clean and only feel a little warm. The compressor feels hot. Condensor fan is running OK. No oil under compressor.

To check out the compressor, I unplugged the unit & plugged it back in and it took about 5 minutes to restart. It did not start right away, but 5 minutes seemed to short of a restart time.  

I then took the panel off the back freezer to get at the evaporator coils. Evaporator fan is running OK.  Also no oil leaks under evaporator coils. After running the unit for about 20-25 minutes the evaporator coils only had frost on about the first 12 inches. The remaining coils have no frost. I made sure the defrost heater was not on at the time.

Does this indicate a bad compressor? Or might there be a leak in the system? Just wanted to know where to go from here. At this point it seems I would need professional service, but just wanted to know what might need to be repaired. 

Thank you . . . .   :huh:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 August 2005 - 08:08 AM

First off, 45 in the food comp does not sound normal to me, should be 35-38*  Sounds like you have a freon leak and will need to call for service.  How old is this unit, is it under warranty?? If not this could be a very expensive repair..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 melvey

melvey

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:57 PM

Dear Pegi,

Thanks for your reply. <Sounds like you have a freon leak and will need to call for service. >

The unit is about 10 years old (no warranty) but in excellent condition. I am trying to get enough info so I can make an educated decision to fix or buy new. I assume a leak would have to be sealed closed. If a leak is fixed, how reliable is that type of repair?    :huh:

Thanks much for your earlier reply . . .    

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:31 PM

If the leak is found and repaired should be good to go, however this could get expensive if the evaperator, for example, has to be replaced.  I would imagine you could spend anywhere from say $150.00 to $500.00, depending on what the problem is.  If the evap is full of water would need to be replaced.  Your box could be in a partial restriction, youc compressor could not be pumping correcttly.  Just sounds like it is low on freon.  It could just be evacuated and recharged but that would not solve the problem of the leaking freon.  You would just need to have a professional look at the unit and advise you what all is needed to be done and give you an estimate.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 melvey

melvey

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:38 PM

< You would just need to have a professional look at the unit and advise you what all is needed to be done and give you an estimate. >

Thanks Pegi,

Will do.  I appreciate all of your advise !   [shadow=blue]Thank you very much ! [/shadow] 

. . . Rick in Cleveland Ohio :cool:    

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:16 PM

You are most welcome.....;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics