Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Monogram Refrigerator intermittent operation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fixitman

fixitman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:03 PM

Built in refrigerator so it's hard to see things work. Have unit out and cleaned a lot of dust out of the condenser. I have a new defrost timer to put in and I notice that the timer lead connected to the black wire looks like it has burned or taken a very heavy power load. Have replaced the compressor twice in last 15 years.

If you recommend the defrost heater replacement...where the heck is it?

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:45 PM

Model Number
Model Description
Brand

BCS42UJB
AIR CONDITIONER
GENERAL ELECTRIC

The model number says this is a room airconditioner....

But the defrost heaters in any ref. are at the bottom of the evaperator in the freezer, or yours might have 2 of them, one at the bottom and another half way up, but cannot tell since your model number seems to go to an A/C.

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

This might help you.   Open your mind and use the force.  Post your new questions here.

#4 fixitman

fixitman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:50 AM

This is the number off the unit and works when I look up parts on line: BCS42UJB Thanks for the advice on locating the heaters. Any other advice?

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:50 AM

http://www.partselect.com/Schematics/GE/00009345i01.gif

Defrost heater is part #7. Where the confusion appears to have arisen is that Sears.com refers to this as an "air conditioner"  - what we actually have here is the guts of a built-in. I got suspicious when I spotted the water valve (part #1)! GE part number for the heater is WR51X5211, which is apparently NLA, although RepairClinic.com shows it as a special order at $117.70.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#6 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:22 PM

I have never replaced a defrost heater on a Monogram.   How did your coil look? 

#7 fixitman

fixitman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:08 PM

Everything is clean. Replaced defrost timer, same problem. The refrigerator ran for 5 days and then quit. I opened up the old defrost timer and saw that the contacts were burned. Any idea of how to test the defrost heater? Which contacts to I test? I don't have a wiring diagram for this refrigerator. The defrost heater is +-$200. I am thinking of junking this machine rather than throwing more money at it! HELP!

#8 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

Where did you get the $200 price from? RepairClinic.com is still showing it as a special order at $117.70 (NLA elsewhere). Best thing is to go straight to the heater and ohm it out, although I'm inclined to think there's something else going on here. Given the fact that a lot of parts for this appear to be NLA, may be time to cut your losses.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#9 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:03 PM

Ya didn't use the force. 

Define "quit".  Are you saying the lights and fans stopped running and the fridge is totally silent.  Remember you are attempting to paint a picture with words here.

I should have said "how did your evaporator coil look?".  Thats the coil that gets cold. Your condenser coil on top is the one you have to clean the dust off of. Thats the one that gets hot.

Did you know you have a defrost thermostat in series with your defrost heater?   I have replaced them (defrost thermostats) one handed thru the fan hole rather than take it all apart and risk starting (or being blamed for) a drainage problem that is waiting to happen of the fridge anyway.

#10 fixitman

fixitman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:38 AM

I opened up the unit to look at the coil. It looked clean. The fans continue to run but it appears that the compressor quits. The refrigerator and freezer warm up and the ice in the icemaker melts.

I can't just turn it off and then back on. I have to turn it off, wait a day or so then turn it back on and it will work. I would think that if it was a faulty defrost heater and the coil was icing up that once it thawed out it would work right away.
I have tried advancing the defrost timer manually to no avail.

The problem is that this is a built in and a new one costs about $4,000. (Plus the hassle of moving the monster and fixing the cabinetry)

Some of my thoughts are:
1) The compressor is worn out.
2) The thermal overload on the compressor motor is tripping.
3) The defrost heater is bad causing all kinds of problems.

One final thought...when I first turn it on, for the first day or so, the air circulating around the condenser coil is rather cool. The unit cycles off periodically. As it approaches failure, the air seems to get hotter and the fans are running continuously

Thanks for all of your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics