Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

the accidental plumber

Maytag Range sparking

3 posts in this topic

Although I am really good at ignoring appliance problems as long as the appliance still works, my wife finally saw what I had written off as imagination when my sons told me about it.  We were using the two left burners (set medium) on our Maytag

MER 5775 QAW

range, when blue sparks arced up six or eight inches up from the top left corner of the range.   Although the thing still works, my wife will give me no peace until it is fixed, something about an acquaintance of hers whose house burned down...

If the model number is flaky, it may be a special model for Lowe's Home Improvement stores, where this one was purchased.

Any ideas?

Thanks --

The Accidental Plumber

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Having trouble visualizing where the trouble is. Post a photo of the location on the range where you're seeing the sparks leap forth.

Aha.  Have discovered soot around the contact on the back of the "infinite switch" controlling the left front burner.  Don't know what or why, yet, nor how it could be cleaned -- there appears to be no way to reach the actual contact point.  I will look for a replacement locally and see if the swap fixes it.  Thanks --