more stinky stinky stinky!
Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:36 AM
Of course, if it's a tradeoff between sparkling, glistening crystal and mirror-polished silver, and using a toxic detergent that strips flesh to the bone, or a "safe" natural cleanser, well... toxics wins every time! (Hey, we're Americans--better living through chemistry).
This time, it's the well in our new house. It was drilled about six years ago, but we really just started using it about four months ago. The water was fine then. About a month ago, it started smelling of rotten eggs (hydrogen sulphide).
Could this be a result of the extremely high rainfall we've had in the last few months? How do we tell if this is a characteristic of our local water or just some cultures that have taken up residence in our well? What's the best remedy in either case?
Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:45 PM
Unfortunately, it's probably more than that, too. In the Northeast, the sulfide smell is often accompanied by other two other nasties: radium (dissolved radon gas) and fluoride. The presence of fluoride is non-trivial: fluoride is bio-toxic in any amount, attacks all organs in the body, attacks the reproductive system of both men and women, and has been proven to lower IQ by 20% on average.
You need to install a reverse osmosis system; it nukes everything. Here's the system we use:
Good price, easy to install. Tastes great, less filling!
Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:56 PM
Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:20 AM
[align=justify]The sulfur smell is hydrogen sulfide and it may be generated in your hot water heater or it may be coming from your well. Run the hot water and cold water separately to see if the odor comes from both or just the hot water. If you notice the smell only in your hot water then most likely your water heater is the culprit. Many modern water heaters contain a magnesium anode to protect the heater against corrosion. As the anode rod breaks down (which is what it is designed to do), it can generate hydrogen sulfide if your water contains any sulfate. A magnesium rod can be replaced with an aluminum rod to eliminate this problem. The problem can also be caused by sulfate-reducing bacterial growth, which can thrive in the warm environment present in a water heater. This problem can be eliminated by disinfection of your hot water heater and plumbing system with hydrogen peroxide. First, shut off the water and heat to your water heater. Then drain it, add 1 pint of 3% hydrogen peroxide for each 40 gallons of water, re-pressurize the heater, turn the heat back on, run 2-3 gallons of hot water to each fixture, and then let the system set for at least 2 hours (overnight would be better). This will clean the tank and piping of bacteria. Although this mixture is non-toxic, run a hot water faucet the next day until the water is cool. Then go through the same procedure as before to drain and re-pressurize the tank. Lastly, check the water temperature as soon as the burner shuts off. If the temperature is above 125 degrees F, lower the temperature. This will reduce the growth of odor-causing bacteria, reduce potential scaling, make the water safer and lower your energy bill. If you had the smell in both your hot and cold water, the problem is your well. Hydrogen sulfide is formed from decomposing underground deposits of organic matter like decaying plants. It can occur in deep or shallow wells and is the result of bacterial action that reduces sulfates in water to hydrogen sulfide. The simple solution for this is shock chlorination to the entire water system--starting from the well all the way through the distribution lines. Chlorine should be kept in the system for several hours, preferably overnight. If the problem persists, then you may need to install an oxidizing filtration system to remove the hydrogen sulfide. If you have very high levels of hydrogen sulfide (over 5 ppm), then you may need chlorine injection, aeration, and filtration in combination. Hydrogen sulfide is best tested on location. Test kits can be ordered from HACH (800-227-4224, http://www.hach.com). Note: High levels of chlorine can cause damage to your water pipes and is toxic, so use caution and flush thoroughly after shock chlorination. [/align]
[align=justify]Hope that helps![/align]
Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:30 AM
Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:57 PM
Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:25 PM
For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users