Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Part search

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 melvinsmellvin

melvinsmellvin

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:35 PM

I think I may be in need of a defrost thermostat, aka defrost terminator, aka bimetal defrost switch for a Whirlpool refrigerator model ET14JKXFW01. I sent the following request to Repair Clinic. com...

Would like to find price and availability of defrost terminator, also known as defrost bimetal switch. Your repair help section refers to it as follows: "Defrost thermostat The process ends after either the amount of time specified on the timer or when the defrost thermostat near the cooling coils senses that the heat near the coils has reached a specific temperature." I only see a general thermostat in your parts list which sets the temp of the whole refrigerator. This is not what I want. I want the price of the thermostat which shuts off the defrost heater when a certain temp is reached in the evaporator area. Thanks

I received the following response... Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you for your recent inquiry (#535665), sent on 8/8/05 at 11:10 pm, regarding your 1996 Whirlpool Refrigerator, model: ET14JKXFW01.

The only part we list is either the defrost heater or the defrost timer. We think you are referring to the defrost heater, our item number 446941. Click here to view the part along with pricing and availability.

Thank you, RepairClinic.com

I have had similar responses from other on line parts suppliers. The parts diagrams for the fridge don't show the part. I'm going crazy with this. Why do you suppose this common part is so elusive? Any advice?? Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:54 AM

I've looked at each page of the parts breakdown for your unit and it doesn't show the defrost terminator anywhere, (It's got to have one!!!)

You have removed the back freezer panel and actually seen with your own eyes that there is a defrost terminator in your refrigerator?????

From the picture of the defrost heater @ RepairClinc, it doesn't appear that a defrost terminator comes with the heater, (some do). Have you asked RepairClinc if that heater assembly maybe comes with the defrost terminator?

If all else fails then you will have to look for the numbers on the original defrost terminator, hopefully you will find a Whirlpool part# or a marking like "L50, L60, or L70". The 50, 60 or 70 is the temperature that the terminator opens at.

With that info we should be able to locate a generic one.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 melvinsmellvin

melvinsmellvin

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:24 AM

Thank you for reply. I have indeed seen the defrost terminator in this refrigerator. I don't think the Repair Clinic person has a clue what I am talking about. The picture of the heater on their site does not seem to show a terminator with it. The refrigerator belongs to a 91 year old friend. I will have to get over there and see what is printed on the part. Thanks again.

#4 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:29 AM

Try entering part # 2946, but your right no one shows that your model has a defrost themostat:yikes:

#5 melvinsmellvin

melvinsmellvin

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:44 AM

Thanks, I don't know how you found that. But to be on the safe side I had better get the numbers off the original. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics