Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Dishwasher DWU9202AAB Filter Working???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 torontoguy2029

torontoguy2029

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

I have a 12 year old Maytag Dishwasher DWU9202AAB which a few weeks ago I started to notice that the dishes on the top rack were not coming out a clean as "usual" which was pretty good up til now. Upon further investigation I noticed the upper arm was not spinning freely when the door was open and I was trying to move it by hand.  It had some "resistance".  So I unscrewed the top nut (snap outlet nut series 10 from the parts diagram downloaded from the net - see I'm not that stupid) and removed the whole upper spray arm assembly.  Between the arm and the Outlet nut was "stuff" which seemed hard and caused resistance between the nut and arm.  Upon cleaning it away and reassembling it, the arm rotated well both under no power and under power (Dishwasher off and on).  Well after another cycle the resistance was back again.  The holes in the arm are clear and not blocked at all.  There was more "stuff" stuck between the Nut and the upper arm.

So now I disassemble the lower area looking for the pump housing filter.  I get to it easily enough and it is relatively clean as I run vinegar through the dishwasher semi-regularly.  Still I clean it out with a toothbrush.  While there, I notice that the Rinse Arm Assembly (that I guess is to keep the pump housing filter clear by pushing water backwards through the pump housing filter) has some bits of plastic stuck in some of the thin slit outlets.  I clean this out and reassemble the dishwasher and also clean the top arm stuff stuck between the nut and upper arm.  There are no rips or tears or anything out of the ordinary looking with the filter.  The filter seems to mate well enough in its top and bottom seats.

The stuff stuck in the top arm and the plastic bits in the rinse arm assy are bigger than the holes in the filter and I am wondering how they get through and stuck in between the nut and the upper arm. So now when I run the dishwasher through a cycle the upper arm at the end of the cycle has "resistance" to spinning even though it started out before the cycle with no resistance.

How is the "stuff" getting past the filter and does anybody know what causes this?  It happens pretty much every cycle now!!

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jeffhoward

jeffhoward

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

Torontoguy

I'm not sure what your "stuff" is or why it is building up so quickly.  Do you have hard water?  If it is a white substance it might be calcium deposits from hard water.  However, that usually doesn't build up quickly, unless it's breaking loose from somewhere in the pump and being pushed up with the water. 

I wanted to ask if by any chance item #1 from your drawing, the jump up nozzel, is missing from your dishwasher.  When I 1st started doing appliance work I worked on one of these and could not figure out why the upper spray arm wouldn't work.  I found a similar drawing and realized this piece was missing.  I called the MT techline and they informed me it was a critical piece and that the upper arm would not rotate without it.  If it's not missing then I'm sorry I have no other ideas.

P.S.  When will Balsilli get his hockey team?  I use to visit his company selling electronic components when they 1st started designing the original Blackberry.

Divers do it deeper stay down longer and come up wetter.

#3 torontoguy2029

torontoguy2029

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:15 AM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for the reply.  I really appreciate it.  I am pretty good at fixing things but this one has me beat.

Item #1 the Jump up nozzle is in place and hasn't been touched in 12 years (until now anyway).

The stuff appears to be food stuffs and not calcium as most/all of the calcium that is in the dishwasher seems to have been disolved by vinegar.  I found a cumin or seseme seed there and i checked to see if it could get through the pump housing filter (item #6) but it could not.  The other stuff is brownish in colour and not whitish and could be the hardish part of fruit from smoothies that I like to make. That stuff also doesn't go through the the filter as I tried to put it through.  I rarely rinse things off before putting them in the dishwasher but take off all the food stuffs on the plate etc but leave the rest on the plates/bowls

I even tried disolving my diswasher detergent in some hot water as a test to see if any hard particles were coming from the detergent but it disolved almost perfectly and left nothing behind.

The upper arm between the nut and arm seems like a strange place for things to get stuck.  The path of least resistance is just out the holes in the upper arm and down back to the filter.

Thanking you in advance,
Tom

PS Politics is everywhere - even in hockey.  Hard to say when Jim is going to get his hockey team.  

Attached Files

#4 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

Drain line O.K.? No possible way for interesting things to migrate back to the d/w? Used to have an asko  d/w that when the wife and daughter plugged up the drain , the d/w would fill up with water..THEN I put the drain in a big loop as high as I could under the counter top.

#5 torontoguy2029

torontoguy2029

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:58 PM

Hey there GO,

Drain should be fine.  New 2" ABS drains all round - never had a backup.  The DW drainhose goes up in a big loop already to the top of the DW and then down to the drain.  I remember that from the installation manual so many years ago and I presume it hasn't moved since I installed it.  I had a closer look at the pump area and noticed the the wash impeller (#13 in diagram) has a shaft on it and where the shaft goes thru the filter support (#15) it is worn away and the side if the shaft is not straight anymore.  So it appears that the gap between the filter support and the wash impeller shaft is bigger that it should be and maybe bigger stuff than should be is being sucked in in that area since the suction side of the pump impeller is directly above it. Hmmmmmmmmm................I think I will replace the filter support #15 the wash impeller #13 and the Pump filter # 6 and see if that works.  I ran a load yesterday and by 3/4 the was thru the wash cycle the upper arm was not turning anymore but once I spun it both ways for a bit then it loosened up and was fine again til the end of the whole cycle!

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:42 PM

[user=53695]torontoguy2029[/user] wrote:

I have a 12 year old Maytag Dishwasher DWU9202AAB which a few weeks ago I started to notice that the dishes on the top rack were not coming out a clean as "usual" which was pretty good up til now.

To what level-- relative to the heating element-- does the water fill in the basin after it stops filling?

#7 torontoguy2029

torontoguy2029

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:19 AM

Yes, the water fills up to the heating element level in the basin area (i guess that is the right word for it) and then the dishwasher starts.  Even when I stop the DW in the middle of a cycle and look inside the water level is approximately at the heating element level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics