Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool side by side model ED25RFXFW01 - icemaker problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kellyaddie

kellyaddie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:17 AM

When we originally noticed our icemaker was not making ice we noticed that the plastic tube that guides the water into the ice maker in the freezer was frozen over with ice. We thought this was the problem, so we cleared the ice from the plastic tube, but then every time water came down the tube it would just flow down the back or into the ice bin and freeze. In thinking about it now, this was probably because the icemaker itself was full of ice that had not emptied, so the water just overflowed where ever it could. We called an applicance repair man and he told us, "he sees this all the time and that the ice maker needed to be replaced" he also said this was pretty normal given that our refridgerator was "10 years old". He quoted us $450 to replace the ice maker to which we said "No thanks". I came to your site and found the replacement icemaker for $119. My husband replaced the icemaker last night with the new icemaker. the only thing he did not replace was the electrical wires because the existing plug fit the new icemaker and the directions said to use existing plug if it fit. After he replaced the icemaker it filled up with water and the ice cubes began to freeze. We went to bed. This morning we discovered that the ice cubes did not empty from the ice maker and once again we had frozen ice all over the plastic fill tube. Can you please help us trouble shoot this problem?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:16 AM

check Freezer temperature ( should be 0F )

IceMaker must be +15F or colder to initiate Harvest.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 kellyaddie

kellyaddie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

So are you thinking it may be too cold?? Could it also possibly be the water inlet valve?

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

It may not be cold enough... must be colder than +15F ... like around +0F

#5 kellyaddie

kellyaddie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:18 PM

The temperature is cold enough. Today, we let the icemaker fill up with water, then we turned the water off to see if the icemaker would harvest the cubes and it did. So I'm thinking that this means the icemaker is working, right? How does it know when the icemaker is empty and when to add water? It seems to me that it is not sensing when the icemaker is full so the water comes down the fill tube too soon and has no where to go so it freezes on top of the icemaker and all up the fill tube. What would cause this? Could someone please tell me if they think it could be the water inlet valve? Is this what senses the icemaker has water in it? PLEASE HELP!

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

How do you know the temperature is cold enough ?
Did you measure it ?

After the IceMaker harvests the Cubes, the Motor continues it's cycle (full circle)
during which time it opens the Water Valve (behind the Fridge) for about 7 seconds, and the IceMaker should now be full.

(the tube connecting to the IceMaker stays full of water)

Now, that the IceMaker is full of water, it should freeze, and when the I/M internal Thermostat senses the Water Tray is about 15F
(should be frozen), it turns on a Heater to release the Cubes and starts the Harvest Cycle again, etc ...

Icemaker Troubleshooting 2 MB

Icemaker Troubleshooting 18 MB

#7 kellyaddie

kellyaddie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for all your help. We've had to use a blow dryer to melt the ice in/all over the tube, so the temp may not have been cold enough for a period of time. We are going to have to use a blow dryer again to get rid of all the ice. We will wait a few hours this time to make sure the freezer is cold enough (I've also adjusted the thermostat). Should we turn both the water and the ice maker off during this time? Any steps/guidance you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

#8 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

[user=53712]kellyaddie[/user] wrote:

...again we had frozen ice all over the plastic fill tube.

Hello, my frozen friend. Please post a photo of the frozen-over filltube so that we may lay our eyes upon in and perhaps glean some insight into the problem. You may post the photo either here (200kb limit) or at an online photo hosting service.

Allahu Akbar!

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

If you have a Harbor Freight store near you
click on picture $ 2.99
Posted Image

could use a few ...

#10 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

The water solenoid feeding water to the ice maker may be seeping a little water when it is shut off - just enough to get in the fill tube and freeze.     If this is an indoor ice maker , there is a heated fill tube available

#11 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:17 AM

The inlet valve needs no less than 30 psi behind it or the water may also seep by and gum up the works. the self piercing water tap is usually the culprit.Have seen many water valves replaced in error because of this. If you can hold your thumb over the water line and stop the water flow, you probably need to to replace or at least clean the tap valve. I cant remember the supco valve number for the 1/4 in one where you drill the hole in the pipe. Anybody got the part no??
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#12 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

Aw yes , the self tapping ones. Had a non believing customer once - took the hose off right at the valve on the house line - a small drip only. Love it when it is some thing other than "the damn piece of crap they sold me" problem.. Funny , they never apologize..

#13 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:37 AM

Its amazing how much you learn and forget after the millionth service call or so...
Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#14 kellyaddie

kellyaddie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:11 AM

Ok- I think I'm finally getting somewhere. There was still some ice at the top of the fill tube, so last night I turned the ice maker off by raising the shut-off arm,  cleared the ice in the fill tube, waited for the freezer to get the right temperature again, then turned the icemaker back own by lowering the shut-off arm. The ice-maker filled with water and began to freeze. I went to bed. This morning when I got up there was no ice in the bin. I stuck my finger in the icemaker and it was filled with water- which made no sense because it was freezing before I went to bed last night. Apparrently, it froze, the heater kicked on, but it never ejected the ice, so it melted all the ice and I'm assuming it continued this cycle of freezing then melting the water throughout night. I felt the water again and it was already starting to freeze again. I noticed that one side of the shut-off arm didn't seem to be all the way in, so I removed the shut-off arm and re-installed it. This seemed to fix the problem, as after I did this the ice-maker finished it's cycle and ejected the ice. Yea! It also immediately filled up again with water. Yea! I will see soon if it completes another cycle.

My question has to do with the shut-off arm. In re-installing the shut-off arm I referred back to the instruction sheet my husband used when installing the new icemaker. I noticed that there were 2 different shut-off arms that came with the replacement icemaker. Shut-off arm 627792 and shut-off arm 2304354 which it said was for side-by-side models (this shut-off arm has a white plastic piece attached to it). We have a side-by-side model refridgerator, but my husband installed the shut-off arm WITHOUT the plastic piece (627792). In looking at the original ice-maker shut-off arm, it did NOT have a plastice piece attached to it, however, the wire was shaped differently than both of the arms that came with the new replacement icemaker. My question is, does the type of shut-off arm make a difference? Should we have used the shut-off arm with the plastic piece attached (2304354)? 

#15 kellyaddie

kellyaddie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

The icemaker seems to be working- it has gone through several full cycles now. Could someone please answer my question above about the shut-off arms?

#16 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:43 PM

The plastic extension is to lift the arm sooner to prevent spillover of ice from the ice bucket and may have been a running manufacturing change. The arm will never come into play if the icemaker is not making ice(unless you lock it in the up position which will cease ice production). Once the unit makes enough ice to fill the container and lifts on it's own, you'll know if you need to put an arm on with a deeper reach as ice will fall out when opening door etc.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#17 kellyaddie

kellyaddie

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for answering my question about the arm. Thanks to all for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics