Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Icanfixanything

Whirlpool (branded as a Kirkland) upright freezer SVF15NRJWOO

11 posts in this topic

I have a Whirlpool (branded as a Kirkland) upright freezer SVF15NRJWOO made in 2000 (Serial #EWK4189383) that has been bulletproof until now, when the defrost cycle is sticking.  It freezes everything solid, and then you check the next day and everything is thawed out...water pan in bottom (outside of freezer) is full.  Next day - everything is frozen again. 

Wiseman of the Whirlpool, how shall I proceed?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I vote for changing your name to "Icanfixanythingwithhelpandguidance"

I would suspect one of three things. Cold Control, Deftrost Timer, or Defrost Thermostat. Start by manually advancing defrost timer to the defrost cycle, and wait and see if it comes out of defrost on its own (should be about 20 minutes).

Can you point me to where I can find info on how to manually advance the defrost timer?

from the illustration that Reg provided you with, it is part key #7 on the liner detail, timer appears to be upper r.h. side of inner cabinet, once you locate it you can turn the screwdriver slot in it clockwise, it will make a ratcheting sound as you turn it and at some point it wil make an audible "click", that is the point it goes to defrost, after 20-30 minutes, the wheel will advance back to the cooling mode where you will hear the compressor start back up

Back on the project - here is what I have:

I manually advanced the defrost timer and it shut the unit down for right about 30 minutes. Timer is a little noisy, making a tick-tick-tick sound as it runs. Defrost heater comes on, and completely defrosts the unit.  Compressor kicks back on and fan starts to blow - freezing acheived.     How would you suggest I proceed from here?

Defrost Bi-metal Thermnostat may be shorted

(not opening when reaching 51F to stop the Defrost Cycle before the Freezer gets too hot)

or may not be positioned on the Evaporator

Sorry - old thread here - but I'm FINALLY getting around to ordering a Defrost Bi-Metal thermostat.  Anything special I need to know about installing it?  Also, you mentioned in your prior response that:

"Defrost Bi-metal Thermnostat...may not be positioned on the Evaporator"

Can you elaborate on that comment? The thermostat connects to the back wall of unit, and the evaporator is just a cover (unless I am missing something, which is always possible).  Could the cover not be positioned correctly? 

Here's the guts of the unit:

http://www.partselect.com/ModelFrames.aspx?ModelID=744152&ModelNum=SVF15NRJW00&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=3&Selected=2OISPT4S&Position=3&mfg=Whirlpool&Type=&Mark=3

Thanks!

The Evaporator Coils is # 2

The Bi-Metal Switch # 9, should clip onto the Evaporator Coils.

Great - thanks for the  help and the quick response