Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool LSR8010PQ..how to open cabinet??? no screws???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:01 AM

Well, about 3 1/2 years ago I made a frantic run to Lowes and purchased a Whirlpool LSR8010PQ. on New Years Eve.  Purchased it with K.I.S.S. in mind.  Initially I had a problem with a syphoning issue that was handled via some some great help from the forum...here's that thread:   http://applianceguru...orum2/4664.html

Well, the Whirlpool worked good....for a little over 3 years.  Suddenly one day the tub tilted and it started running unbalanced badly.  From what I've found either one of the grenade stabilizer springs has broken or either the frame where the spring attaches has broken.   I'm a little bombed out that the hardware of the washer has given this problem in this period of time....I figured probably a coupler or maybe a timer or something, but not a cold piece of steel.<sigh>   Anyhow, I still need to get into the cabinet to see which part has failed and whether to junk it or not.  but, I'm having a problem figuring the proper way to open the cabinet.

From information that I've found I'm supposed to remove "two screws holding the console on", tilt the console backwards, remove some clips, and then tilt the cabinet forward thus exposed the washers innards.   Well, for the life of me....when I compare the console to the diagrams that I've seen I can't see the blasted screws that I'm supposed to remove.  Would someone send me a seeing-eyeball-dog to help me find these screws?  Thanks, Ed.

Here are a couple of pics of the ends of the console:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lost in the humidity of south Alabama, bumbling around keeping things going with haywire and baleing twine...and a little duct tape once in a while.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:34 AM

maybe

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:58 AM

Definitely could be a MAYBE. :)

I just took a quick look (gotta get off to work) and the endcaps are definitely on there tight.  it looks like a couple of sheetmetal screws on the back might be holding the endcaps on.  I'll remove these this evening and see if I can get the caps off.  Thanks!  Ed

Lost in the humidity of south Alabama, bumbling around keeping things going with haywire and baleing twine...and a little duct tape once in a while.

#4 NCSU_laundry_tech

NCSU_laundry_tech

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

do not try to take the caps off!
the two screws are in the very outside rear bottom of the console. they are phillips not sheet metal screws

you may be able to fix it without removing the cabinet. lean her back against the wall and check the springs. should be 4 total

To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

Your unit does not have screws, but has 2 very stiff spring clips between the console and the deck of the cabinet. Use a good stiff putty knife, and press it between the 2 pieces approx 3" in from the end caps, the console then hinges upward
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 NCSU_laundry_tech

NCSU_laundry_tech

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:47 PM

http://www.partselect.com/Schematics/Whirlpool/BNTX7OKW.gif

#7 NCSU_laundry_tech

NCSU_laundry_tech

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

screw 49 are the ones that need to be removed

#8 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

Thanks everybody for the help, but looks like it's a moot point.  The washer is junk.  The washer sits in an open ended garage where moisture can definitely be a problem, especially if a heavy rain comes along.  I went out and started to move the washer out from the wall a bit more so I could tilt it back and noticed a good bit of rust flakes at the front of the machine.  It's a rainy day down here in south Alabama and lighting isn't good in the garage.  Well, I shined my flashlight over behind the washer and saw a PILE OF RUST uncovered from where I had moved the washer from...and also saw what looks like the lower foundation frame and one of the rear legs.<groan>  It's a pile of rust...it's history.

I haven't tried running it since I moved it and shifted the rust pile around.  I'm hoping it will still work for a short while, at least as well as it was working (loud and banging as it was).  I've got some modifications to do to the laundry area...move a hot water heater over a foot or so and repair the hotwater faucet for the washer (rust pile there, too).  We're planning on closing in the garage so hopefully this will solve future "rust bucket" problems.<sigh>

So....I guess I'm now taking recommendations on a K.I.S.S. brand to buy?   Still need a top load.  Whirlpool still the more oft' recommended one?

Any parts I need to scrounge off this rust heap?

Thanks again for the feedback from everyone...great bunch of folks!  Ed

Posted Image

#9 NCSU_laundry_tech

NCSU_laundry_tech

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

get the same washer. i suppose you could remove the gearcase, water pump and motor for future possible use

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics