Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Washing Machine less than 42" tall??? Top-loader...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

Well, I'm once again in the market for a top-loading washer.  I'm hoping to find something less than 40" in height if possible.  It looks like the mainstream top-loaders run around 42"- 43".

I did find a Whirlpool Model GCAM2792TQ that is stated as being a "commercial" washer that stands in at 36" tall (would be a great height!).  Anybody know much about this washer's reputation?   It looks like it doesn't have a delicate or gentle cycle which might be a deal-killer for my wife but I'll run it pass her to see.

If anybody has a suggestion I'd appreciate it.  I'm not tied to getting a Whirlpool but the last I heard they were regarded pretty good so brand suggestions are welcome too!  The wife has some back problems and a front-loader is not in the running.

Thanks...yet again! :)

Ed

ETA:  Changed the stated height above to 36" from 26"....26" would've been a mite short, eh? :oops:

Lost in the humidity of south Alabama, bumbling around keeping things going with haywire and baleing twine...and a little duct tape once in a while.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

[user=5187]Intheswamp[/user] wrote:

... Whirlpool Model GCAM2792TQ that is stated as being a "commercial" washer that stands in at 26" tall ...

should that be:

Height (Inches):  36

Whirlpool CAM2752TQ           Coin-op   $ 754

Whirlpool WTW5600VQ       looks good  $ 420 

all (3) have the standard Whirlpool Transmision

WTW5600VQ at Whirlpool

WTW5600VQ0 Wiring Diagram

Normal/Heavy

Permanent Press

Delicate

Hand Washables

all with optional Extra Rinse

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

Yelp, definitely stated the wrong height...supposed to be 36" rather than 26" height, thanks for pointing the error out to me.

Thanks for the links.  The Whirlpool WTW5600VQ looks very interesting.  I may have to look into this one.  So all three have the same transmission...is the transmission noted for being a good one?

Ed

Lost in the humidity of south Alabama, bumbling around keeping things going with haywire and baleing twine...and a little duct tape once in a while.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

[user=5187]Intheswamp[/user] wrote:

...is the transmission noted for being a good one? .

yes

#5 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:59 AM

I "think" that I've found the WTW5600VQ at HH Gregg.  It doesn't actually state the Whirlpool model number on the website but rather what I take to be the store's stock number.  It certainly looks like the same model as the Whirlpool WTW5600VQ and the list of specs seems the same.  I may call and see if they can read the model number stright off of the machine to me.  Buying it at HH Gregg would save me about $44 but I'd have to drive 60 miles one way to pick it up.

http://www.hhgregg.c...dStore=All#page

From what I can tell the WTW5600VQ is an analog (no electronic/digital controls) and it doesn't have the AccuWash feature,...correct?

Thanks for the help!  Ed

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:07 AM

Looks OK.. but then, if you roll your mouse over the picture... the link says WTW5300CW

similar model, but 43" tall

I don't know why the difference in heights in the Whirlpool models (see below)

Before driving there, should call and ask the model number and actual height ...

edit: both machines use the same cabinet part number according to SearsPartsDirect

they may be measuring with and without the backsplash ...

what measurement do you need ?

#7 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

Looks OK.. but then, if you roll your mouse over the picture... the link says WTW5300CW

similar model, but 43" tall

I don't know why the difference in heights in the Whirlpool models (see below)

Before driving there, should call and ask the model number and actual height ...

edit: both machines use the same cabinet part number according to SearsPartsDirect

they may be measuring with and without the backsplash ...

what measurement do you need ?

Hmmm, just got off the phone with HH Greg in Montgomery....not much help.  I asked for the model number taken off the machine and was quickly told it was the 5300 model.  I think the representative was looking at a computer as she then told me to hold on that she "will go measure the height for me".  She measured the height to the lid surface as 36" which is the same as my old washer at the lid surface (too tall).  Looking at the Whirlpool website the overall height for the 5300 is 43" which is basically the height I measured this morning at the top of the console on my old washer.  Scratch the HHGregg washer...

As for the measurement that I'm hoping to find is something around 30" at the cabinet top/flat lid surface...thus making a total height of the unit including console at around 36".  I'll go re-visit the 5600 at www.ajmadison.com ....interesting thing is that I'm not finding the 5600 listed on Whirlpools website....????

Ed

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

Staber machine claims to be 42" at back of control panel
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#9 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

[user=637]kdog[/user] wrote:

Staber machine claims to be 42" at back of control panel

Thanks for the reply, kdog.   42" would be about what I've got now.   Those Stabers seem like some nice washers, though!

Ed

#10 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

Well, I went back and used the link that RegUS_PatOff gave me to the Whirlpool WTW5600VQ webpage and it had all the details about the washer there.  I don't know why I can't find it if I simply go to www.whirlpool.com and look for it. ???

Anyhow, I sent an email to Whirlpool inquiring about the 5600's height.  I may send one to ajmadison.com, too.

RegUS_PatOff, by "backsplash" are you talking about the control console?  If both the 5300 and 5600 units use the same cabinet then they should be the same height.  Something tells me things might be amiss with some stated measurements at Whirlpool. :(

Ed

#11 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

Ok, the WTW5600VQ appears to be the same as the rest of the pack.  The installation instructions posted on Whirlpool's website show the overall height as 42" at the control console.  :(   Of course they may have used a generic diagram (the drawing *does* show only two knobs, not three) and made an error so I'll wait and see what kind of reply I get from them.

Still lookin'....   Ed

Screen-save of the dimensions found on Page 2 of installation instructions for the WTW5600VQ... Posted Image

#12 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

I got a response from Whirlpool about the 5600's height a few minutes ago.  Here's the pertinent quote...

"The height of 36" is to the top of washer, the maximum height at control console is 42.5".  Please let us know if there is anything else that we can assist you with."

Ah well, the search continues, or....settle for a 36" tall cabinet.  Anybody got a suggestion on a standard sized one that I can pick up at Lowes, Sears, etc.,?  The 5600 looks like mailorder only from ajmadison...what about the 5300?

A couple of items here....I'd like to stay away from the Accuwash feature (as I've been told to :) ), but what about Triple Spray Technology (TST), Care Control temp management, Fabric Sense wash system, and Xtra Roll Action Plus agitator?  Should I shy away from these?  I'm looking at going ahead and getting one with a handwashable cycle for my better half and it seems that the models with it come with some or all of those features.

Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics