Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Digital multimeter recommendation?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

" A man with one meter knows exactly what reading an appliance is giving. A man with two, is never really sure."

quotes a man (namely me) with too many meters. Posted Image

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,202 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

We have lots of power quality issue around here: surges, sags, swells, transients, harmonics, and yes, frequent outages. It's like living in a frikkin third world country! These power quality problems generate much revenue for Samurai & Co. I use the Fluke 43B to nail 'em down and prove to the customer that it was the crappy power supply to their home that fried their appliance (usually bad pole transformers or near a commercial place that injects lots of harmonics into the power lines and messes with control boards).

Flukes rule; all the others drool! :rocker:

#23 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

... Fluke 43B
Flukes rule; all the others drool
!
:rocker:

$ 3000
yes, Flukes are good

Posted Image Harmonics

Posted Image Power

Posted Image 3 Phase

Posted Image Sags & Swells

Posted Image Transients

Posted Image Volts/Ampères/Hertz

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#24 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,202 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Wow, talk about inflation! I bought mine 6 years ago and paid around $1K. Yowzah!

Awesome meter, though.

#25 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

wow. but even my cheap made in china fluke 116 feels like quality. Although i must admit I trust the readings of the fluke more, I love the convenience and ease of use of the fieldpiece sc77 for appliance work. I can't wrap my mind around paying over 1k for a meter, but then again I am still trying to figure out what all those squigley lines mean.

I did re-learn a valuable lesson the other day. I was taking a reading on a fridge calrod heater. Normally I use my pocket amprobe meter. It's part of my "light tackle" outfit. Anyhow, decided to use the fieldpiece . Calrod was bad. Or so I thought. Didn't look at the readings, I just didn't hear the continuity tone. Picked up new calrod from local parts house and for some reason, I thought I'd better check out the old one (had it with me) again. Used the little amprobe and "beeeeeep"

Lessons learned and/or re-learned that day
#1 Always look at the readings and not depend on sound
If i'd looked at the readings I would have noticed 25.9 ohms....which is okay for the calrod

#2 Always read your instructions thoroughly
If I'd read instructions on the fieldpiece carefully, I would have read "audible indication when less than 25 ohms"

customer was happy though as the adc board was cheaper than the calrod. Now don't start lecturing me on why I should've tested the adc board first....don't wanna hear it Posted Image

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 14 January 2012 - 03:02 AM.

#26 Bullstok

Bullstok

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Mt. Dew

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:27 AM

Fluke 87v for me.

#27 Daveb1972

Daveb1972

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Boston Lager

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

me personally havent bothered with cap readings, easy enough to know its faulty and change the cap

NOPE! cannot agree with that one, remember new don't (always) mean good. Diagnosis is an art, parts changing doesn't get a clear understanding of the problem.
That which does not kill me only makes me stronger.....at this rate I'll be invincible by Tuesday!

#28 JJSuperfly

JJSuperfly

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sleeman

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

Fluke 289 for me. I think some of the relatively high list price is due to the data logging feature; not so useful for me. However, I found a very low price one on e-bay. I don't know which of the other models have the temperature reading capability but I find it very useful for checking when the roast is done. Can't be too accurate when chasing medium rare!

#29 Bentley

Bentley

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I just bought a Fluke (brand new in box) T5-600 for $40! Anyone have any problems with the 1k ohms limitation? Is this a good appliance repairman's meter?
The man who acquires the ability to take full possession of his own mind may take possession of anything else to which he is justly entitled.
Andrew Carnegie

Fast & Fair Appliance Repair
http://fastandfairappliancerepair.com/

#30 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

You may also need to get an inexpensive meter so that you can test thermistors which require ohm readings above 1000k

#31 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

I had The same meter for years. its good for general testing but as DA suggests you need something that will go higher
in the OHMS.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#32 Bentley

Bentley

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

That's what I thought. Thermistor I tested said OL but sensor I tested said a little OVER 1K. I have another DMM. I thought there might be something I was missing. I want to get another Fluke later this week. Gotta have a matching pair.
Thanks
The man who acquires the ability to take full possession of his own mind may take possession of anything else to which he is justly entitled.
Andrew Carnegie

Fast & Fair Appliance Repair
http://fastandfairappliancerepair.com/

#33 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

That's what I thought. Thermistor I tested said OL but sensor I tested said a little OVER 1K. I have another DMM. I thought there might be something I was missing.

know the feeling. my first testing of thermistors was with an Ideal clamp meter with ohms <600. Was at a loss for a bit

#34 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Fluke 116 for me, got 2 of them.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#35 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Fluke 116 for me, got 2 of them.

In my opinion, the best bang for the buck.

#36 atcherservice

atcherservice

Master of Monkeys

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

May have been mentioned but the sc series from Field Piece, has clamp amp head mfg ohms and temp reading new about 70-80 bucks had mine for a few years takes a liken but keeps on ticken

#37 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

Have a Fluke 73 and a Fluke 77, the 77 has the data hold feature - have used it a few times on those "hard to reach" voltage measurements. Numerous guages and attachments are available to add on to these meters, can be used for almost anything!
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#38 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,202 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

Gentlemen, please welcome the newest member to my Fluke Meter Harem: the Fluke 117/322 Combo Pack:

#39 Bullstok

Bullstok

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

i have a 300 series clamp meter, don't remember what one. i REALLY wish it had a min/max capability. that is an ass saver. i have to use a clamp probe with my 87v to do min/max not that it is horrible, just inconvenient sometimes.

#40 Bullstok

Bullstok

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

I would like a clamp meter that features peak-and-hold so I can measure inrush current. I have a Fluke 902

i could have swore the 902 i was looking at had a min/max button...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics