Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 665.15979992

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 3ringcircus

3ringcircus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

My little Kenmore workhorse cleans fine every day, but has leakage underneath that emanates from the left hand frame rail. 

The attached picture has the offending area marked by the end of my wooden spoon.  I can't tell where the leak starts, but it's running down between the frame and the insulation and then onto the ground on the far left side of the washing machine about half way back to the wall.

Looking at the parts diagram, it looks that the offending system may be the Fill and Overfill assembly.  Does that sound likely?  Which part/s?  If so, do I slide the whole beast out from under the counter to access/inspect/repair?

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:16 PM

The "overfill" assembly you speak of is actually an air gap moulded into the side of the tub, the water is forced to jump though the air prior to entering the tub (plumbing codes require this), the chamber which then channels the water into the unit can become built up with calcium and other assorted goodies which can cause the water to splashback. In this event, water would be evident only during the times the unit is filling. You can slide the unit out about halfway and fold back the insulation to access this chamber for cleaning.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 3ringcircus

3ringcircus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

The air gap is indeed the culprit, but not for the reason you surmised (probably a lot more likely in areas with hard water - not here). I took off the air gap, the internal "venty" thing, and the black gasket that goes between, cleaned off what little junk there was, and reinstalled very carefully, with a quarter turn nice and snug.

Turned the washer on momentarily with the quick rinse and water still came out at the bottom of the air gap (outside the tub) at an alarming rate of about 1/2 per sec. Removed and reinstalled everything twice with not difference in leakage. The air gap didn't appear cracked, the gasket looked in good shape. Any ideas? Should I replace the gasket or replace the whole 3 piece deal. BTW, it's not leaking at the supply hose or anywhere else and there was evidence of leaking at the same location it's now leaking.

Help. Now that I can see the leak, it's a matter of pride.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:38 AM

Can you post a photo of where you see the leak coming from?

#5 3ringcircus

3ringcircus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:34 AM

No real photo, but here's the exploded diagram with my notation; I'm nearly positive I have the parts together correctly with the gasket properly seated and all - the only thing that tells me differently is the gusher.

Attached Files

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:50 AM

Couple ways to proceed. If you're absotootly sure that the leak is coming from the air gap assembly, then go ahead and replace it. Done.

If you NOT sure-- no eyeballs on the actual drip location-- then you can remove the d/w from the cubby and run it while watching for the leak source.

#7 3ringcircus

3ringcircus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the assistance so far.  I ordered a replacement air gap and installed it successfully fixing the leak.  Apparently, that original air gap must be notorious for leaking since the new part is specifically called out for "eliminating moisture leakage" common with original part.  So that's all good, but now a new leak - it must have already been there, but was masked by the other leak.

OK, pretty specific source/location.  Tried to attach a video without luck (maybe first need to upload to youtube?) What the video would show is two leaks - one emanating from each side of the lower part of the front of the tub - doesn't seem to be coming through the door, rather leaking through the door/tub junction.  It only occurs when the spray cycle first starts and then no more and dumps about 2-3 ounces on the ground.

I previously cleaned gunk from the gasket - and there are no breaks/kinks and such.  I included a picture of the gasket from the inside.

:shock::):);););););) (my kid's contribution)

Enlighten me.

Attached Files

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

The rubber flapper valve on the top of the part you just replaced is supposed to allow pressure to escape tub when first filled and starting, see that it isn't jammed into the top of the air gap and unmoveable. There is also a wax-motor operated flap in the upper left corner of the door, the idea is that by the time the unit has finished filling, the flap should be in the open position. If either or both of these flaps get hung up, it will cause the symptoms that you describe
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics