Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Intheswamp's Whirlpool Washer Purchase...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:47 PM

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased a Whirlpool WTW5300VW this afternoon at Lowe's.  Our washer/dryer setup has been less than acceptable and I've been doing some work on it better (more room)...this involved moving the hot water heater over several feet (did that last night).

Anyhow, I had pretty much made up my mind to buy the washer so I went on a pickup truck to Lowe's.  Lowe's is about 30 miles from so it's not a "run down the street" trip so you plan ahead.   I was browsing the washers when a sales clerk asked if she could help me.  I told her if I could get 10% off on the washer that I'd buy it.  She said she thought she could do that and asked if that would do it...I responded that 15% would be better...she smiled and said she couldn't do that but that she'd check on that 10%.

Anyhow, walked out of Lowe's with the 5300 for $421.20 plus tax.  It's still sitting in the box as I've got a little more prep work to do in the garage to make a comfy home for it.  I moved the hot water heater last night and have a window to repair and I'll be all set.  I had a big problem with my previous washer rusting out (as mentioned in another thread) so repairing the window is a priority.  I also bought a piece of "polywall", a 4x8 sheet of some kind of plastic, to slide under the appliances as a type of "vapour/concrete" barrier...not sure if it'll help but after the problem that I've had I wanted something between the appliances and the concrete floor in the garage.

Anyhow, if you shop at Lowe's don't be afraid to put a big goofy smile on your face and ask for an extra 10% off on your appliance purchase....worked for me!

:rah:

Ed

Lost in the humidity of south Alabama, bumbling around keeping things going with haywire and baleing twine...and a little duct tape once in a while.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 NCSU_laundry_tech

NCSU_laundry_tech

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:16 AM

cool. dont be alarmed that there is no more only hot water setting. warm is the new hot
To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

#3 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:12 AM

[user=38816]NCSU_laundry_tech[/user] wrote:

cool. dont be alarmed that there is no more only hot water setting. warm is the new hot

Oooh noooo!!!!!

I had inquired about the 5300 in another thread but never got a reply. :(  I opted for the 5300 because of it more or less being built on the same frame as others but also having the delicate and handwash cycles.  But...I do like hot water at times.

Hmm, well the washer is still in the box this morning.  Only problem is that I bought a 2-yr extended warranty...figured it'd pay for parts "if"....and I'm not sure they'll credit that back or not. 

Ed

Lost in the humidity of south Alabama, bumbling around keeping things going with haywire and baleing twine...and a little duct tape once in a while.

#4 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:16 AM

Just thought I'd mention....

If anyone reads this thread and has some thoughts on the 5300 please post them this morning.  The washer is still in the crate but I'm planning on installing it sometime today...I've got a few other projects to complete and then the washer installation.  I'd rather carry it back to Lowe's in the crate, if you know what I mean.

Thanks, Ed

#5 NCSU_laundry_tech

NCSU_laundry_tech

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:43 AM

you need a washer that is not "energy star" to get only hot water without turning the cold supply off
To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:19 AM

your model uses the upper left chart of the (4) Temperature Charts on page 2 

WTW5300VW Wiring Diagram

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:00 AM

you may be better off with a cheaper model that doesn't have an ATC (Automatic Temperature Control)

the WTW5100VQ uses a Bi-Metal Thermal Switch that will add some Cold Water if the Hot Wash gets too Hot...
(could be disconnected)

WTW5100VQ   Lowes $ 398 ( -10% = $ 358)

top chart of the (2) Temperature Charts
WTW5100VQ Wiring Diagram

only 1 speed

#8 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

Thanks ya'll, for the comments.  The panic mode has been called off...I talked to my wife and she says she never uses the hot water setting. :D    We'll see how it works...if it's not  up to snuff we'll do something else.  Did run into a snag this evening.  After moving the hot water heater, securing an old steel casement window that had about rusted out and getting the washer drain and the dryer vent squared away out the window through a piece of 1/4" plexiglass I was finally ready for the big "rust-heap" removal. 

The plumbing is terrible at the hook-up, thus my desire to move everything over so as to have some room to work on it.  I was hoping to be able hook the new washer up and later this week work on the actual plumbing.  I bought a nice set of new hoses figuring another six feet would be plenty to where the new washer will be.  Two little things I failed to take into consideration..... barrel connectors to go between the old and new water hoses....duhhhhh :? .

I figured Lowe's would have'em but the closest one to me (30 miles) closed at 6pm (it was 6:15pm).  The next closest one was 50 miles from me, but closed at 8pm.  I started to head that way but just didn't feel like making the mad drive.  Kind of disgusting...all the plotting and planning  to get the washer going by the end of the weekend and...two little parts sunk the boat.... 

Posted Image  

Ah well, I should be able to pick a couple of connectors up tomorrow at the local hardware store and get this dog hunting!!!

Ed

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

could use one long garden hose (plus 1 washer hose) connected to Cold Input and do a cold wash...

or connect the hose to the utility tub spout and adjust to any temperature..., etc..

as long as it doesn't confuse the ATC too much ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics