Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Laptop advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:50 AM

Have been pondering purchase of a Laptop to store service info on (too much paper,fast and furious) and have looked into a few, I like hp, also like compaq presario - gateway is an attractive competitor price wise.

Just some thing to basically store service bulletins, service manuals etc. will equip it with a bit of pizzaz such as wireless net access, If it's gonna be a computer, might as well be able to use it for such at the same time.

I will value your opinions, Thanks in advance

Kdog
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

if you are going to use it on the road stay away from one with a glossy screan. Most laptops are built cheap so my theory is to buy a cheap one and replace it every other year. I had a real nice dell with a warranty that i had to have the hinges replaced on, but it was stolen. Now i am rocking an acer that i picked up at walmart a year and a half ago for about $500, I like it other than the glossy screen. i upgraded the ram for about $100 and its been great.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

one thought  ... spray paint (part of) the case yellow (or something) ...

no one will want to steal it .. (can't hardly pawn it... )

works well with new Stainless Steel Barbecue Gas Grill..  spray paint some color ... some brown, black... etc..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

That's great advice Reg, I currently do that with some of my tools (drill, heatgun, pullers etc) and it works great! splash some graffitti on it and it loses it's charm, but still does the job just fine. I never considered doing that to the laptop, but yeah, would have the same effect
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

Stay away from Windoze. You know what they say, "Once you go Mac, you'll never go back."

#6 Aermeister

Aermeister

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:08 PM

Speaking of theft prevention tricks, I was talking to Jasper the Potter as he packed up his pots and clay etc. after an old-timey-crafts demonstration thingy. Inside his authentic period white canvas wall tent were hidden the heavy duty plastic boxes he hauls his wares in. But among said boxes was a plastic bucket of the sort kitty litter is sold in, still prominently labeled as such. I asked what he used the kitty litter for. Jasper looked around to see if anyone else was listening, then told me in a conspiratorial whisper, "That's my camera case. I've had several cameras stolen, but never since I started using this for the case."

#7 Pele

Pele

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ommegang Abbey Ale

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:27 AM

If it's just for manuals and such in PDF form, it shouldn't need a whole lotta computing power, however you might want to have something durable.

I have a laptop for when I work on cars.

I scored a lightly used Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 offa eBay for a few hundred bucks. Waterproof keyboard, solid magnesium case, shock resistant.

It's not gonna play hardcore video games, but when I wanna adjust a Air/Fuel ratio or reprogram an ignition advance curve and go for a drive to test the tuning, I won't worry about hitting the brakes and having it fly into the dashboard... I don't worry about my greasy fingers ruining it or splashing coolant on it either.

#8 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

Best Buy will augment its holiday computing selection for Black Friday with a first-ever, value-priced HP laptop. Available for $197 in-store beginning Friday, Nov. 27, the HP laptop features an Intel Celeron 900 processor, 2GB memory and a 160GB hard drive. It will be featured in Best Buy Black Friday preview ads breaking today, and airing on network and cable television through Nov. 26.
"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics