Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Intheswamp

HELP!!! Cotter pins and a Whirlpool WTW5300 washer (new install)

10 posts in this topic

Ok, I got *everything* squared away.  Even handled another small project this evening.  I carefully slide the new WTW5300 over close to it's new home, carefully cut the cardboard away, pull the drain hose out, and finally....pull the infamous yellow strap out.

:shock:  OH NO!!!  Only ONE (1) cotter pin came out. :(  Everything says it should be 2, but only one came out.  I really tried my best on this but only the one came out.  It's longer  than the ones I've seen in the past.  Rather than the 1" to 2" cotter pin this pin is all of 11.25" long!  In the strap there appears to be only one hole for a pin to go through.  The other yellow strap I think was simply to secure the end of the plug to the cabinet.  ????? :? :?

Have they changed and gone to a single cotter pin?  If not, anybody want to point out to me how I should go about retrieving the other pin?

<ARGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!>     Ed

WTW5300cotterpins_20090810_2384Medi.jpg

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

At one time, they had 3 pins, try moving the inner tub by grasping the agitator and moving it front to back, side to side etc, if it moves freely in all directions you are good to go

Hey, thanks for the feedback kdog.  I checked and the agitator will move in basically all directions.  It does seem to "bottom out" a bit quicker when pushed towards the back of the machine but even then it moves probably a couple of inches.  Think it's ok?   :?

Ed

Yeah, it wouldn't move freely with a pin still in - by the look of the pull strap set up, it looks like there's only the one

It's long enough to go through 2 of the keepers

Thanks kdog.  I'll be *hopefully* getting this baby squared away this evening after work.

Ed

How do you re-install that Shipping Pin ?

Or better yet, how do you misplace it ?

I'm thinking of taking it to a taxidermist and having it mounted.

[user=5187]Intheswamp[/user] wrote:

I'm thinking of taking it to a taxidermist and having it mounted.

or you could "mount it" :moondance: