Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

HELP!!! Cotter pins and a Whirlpool WTW5300 washer (new install)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

Ok, I got *everything* squared away.  Even handled another small project this evening.  I carefully slide the new WTW5300 over close to it's new home, carefully cut the cardboard away, pull the drain hose out, and finally....pull the infamous yellow strap out.

:shock:  OH NO!!!  Only ONE (1) cotter pin came out. :(  Everything says it should be 2, but only one came out.  I really tried my best on this but only the one came out.  It's longer  than the ones I've seen in the past.  Rather than the 1" to 2" cotter pin this pin is all of 11.25" long!  In the strap there appears to be only one hole for a pin to go through.  The other yellow strap I think was simply to secure the end of the plug to the cabinet.  ????? :? :?

Have they changed and gone to a single cotter pin?  If not, anybody want to point out to me how I should go about retrieving the other pin?

<ARGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!>     Ed

Posted Image

Lost in the humidity of south Alabama, bumbling around keeping things going with haywire and baleing twine...and a little duct tape once in a while.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

At one time, they had 3 pins, try moving the inner tub by grasping the agitator and moving it front to back, side to side etc, if it moves freely in all directions you are good to go
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

Hey, thanks for the feedback kdog.  I checked and the agitator will move in basically all directions.  It does seem to "bottom out" a bit quicker when pushed towards the back of the machine but even then it moves probably a couple of inches.  Think it's ok?   :?

Ed

Lost in the humidity of south Alabama, bumbling around keeping things going with haywire and baleing twine...and a little duct tape once in a while.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, it wouldn't move freely with a pin still in - by the look of the pull strap set up, it looks like there's only the one

It's long enough to go through 2 of the keepers

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:44 AM

Thanks kdog.  I'll be *hopefully* getting this baby squared away this evening after work.

Ed

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

How do you re-install that Shipping Pin ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:56 AM

Or better yet, how do you misplace it ?

#8 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

I'm thinking of taking it to a taxidermist and having it mounted.

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

[user=5187]Intheswamp[/user] wrote:

I'm thinking of taking it to a taxidermist and having it mounted.

or you could "mount it" :moondance:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Intheswamp

Intheswamp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

Posted Image

Uh, no. 

:shock:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics