Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

DD603 dishdrawer top drawer seal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 gjgregory

gjgregory

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:35 PM

I have a Fisher & Paykel DD603 dishdrawer which is suffering from an F1 flood alarm every so often.  It looks like the right hand side of the top drawer seal is not lowering properly.

How can I check that? I know how to get into diagnostic mode but I don't now how to use it.

Thanks in advance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ethicalfix

ethicalfix

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:41 AM

To test the lid operation first pull the drawer forward of the cabinet by depressing the lugs on each side rail and pulling the drawer forward. Then go into diagnostic mode. Once there press power once and the lcd will display "HO" for hardware output. Then press "Start/Pause until the letters "LD" appear. Press the keylock button and then the two actuators (lid motors) should wind the lid down. If only one works or they both work but the lid does not come down properly you have found your problem. Pressing keylock again will raise the lid. If the lid appears to be snagging on one side or the other it may be the yoke (plastic arm connecting the actuator to the lid) that may be your problem.

Remember the simple things.

#3 gjgregory

gjgregory

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 01:01 AM

Thanks Ethicalfix!  I did manage to stumble my way thru the diags after I made my original post and  discovered as expected that the lid was not lowering on the right hand side.  The bottom one was playing up a bit too.  I managed to get a pair of "new improved" actuators from a local appliance service centre - the new design has a plastic shield and a rubber seal around the arm to keep water out.  I guess if the lid seal is leaking, water can get into the armature in the actuator, which eventually makes the problem worse and worse.

I dismantled the old actuators out of curiosity - one was rusty and the other just didn't seem to have much torque.

I also managed to get a new and improved cable harness - it's a metal rod that hinges from a bracket screwed into the left corner and is MUCH better than the old plastic thing that had broken in half at some stage.

#4 ethicalfix

ethicalfix

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 03:31 AM

Well done. The new actuators you got are a big improvement. They in turn are beig replaced in the near future but I have only seen a sample. Haven't seen them come throgh as a spare part yet. Also the metal link arm is a recent upgrade as the plastic ones have been breaking a fair bit.
Remember the simple things.

#5 Mr Iddle

Mr Iddle

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:55 AM

What causes the F1 flood alarm? I too have a F&P DD dishwasher which played a lovely tune this evening whilst contending with the evening dinner. A fair bit of small food debris was found in one of the draws but the waste outlet didnt appear to be blocked and on blowing through the waste pipe (lovely taste!!) from the non-dishwaser end there appeared to be clear passage.

On lifting the bottom draw out, there was a small puddle sitting in the bottom tray adjacent to the electrical control panel so I assume this has activted some kind of moisture detection system, hence the F1 alarm.

I have turned off the electrics, mopped up the surface water and applied the hairdryer. I will now leave it over night for any residue moisture to evaporate and see if it wants to be nice to me in the morning.

Any other remedial steps that I should take before applying the power?

#6 gjgregory

gjgregory

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:10 PM

I've had the F1 problem on two seperate occasions.  The first time I think was caused by the plastic wiring harness at the back of the top drawer - it had snapped in two and I think one end was getting stuck under the rear of the lid seal causing a leak sometimes.  I just tape it back together as a temporary fix.

The next time was caused by the lid on the top drawer not sealing at all on the right side - the actuator motor on that side which pulls the lid down when the drawer is used had failed (probably due to water penetration).  I got a pair of "new improved" actuators from a local appliance repair shop and replaced the right hand side actuator on both drawers as the bottom one didn't seem to be working as well as it should either.  At the same time I got a replacement part for the broken wiring harness.

#7 Mr Iddle

Mr Iddle

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:50 PM

Sometimes makes me wonder whether we would be better off going back to a bowl of hot water, some Fairy Liquid and a dish brush....

My good lady tells me I am being stupid!!!

#8 gbessom

gbessom

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

Does the DD602 model have the actuators?  My DD leaks and I can see that the seal is not touching the drawer.  The vacuum pump works but the seal does not fully contact the drawer and it just spits water out.  However, I have looked for that cables that you refer to and can not find them.  So I am thinking that the older DD602 does not have them.  Can you please advise?

Thanks

#9 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:13 PM

The 602 uses an inflatable lid seal and an air pump/exhaust valve to seal the drawer lid. You need to pull the unit out and remove the rear access cover to test the system. You want to make sure that the seal is not punctured and that the exhaust valve is closing when it should.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#10 howlingdawg

howlingdawg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:50 AM

On my 2 drawer Fisher & Paykel DD603, we used the lower drawer maybe 3 times, but the right side of the drawer is now sealing, and i went through the F1 drill before retesting with an empty drill. same problem.

ethicalfix: How do i put the system into diagnostics, in order to test the actuators per your instructions?

Also, where might I get the new actuators/metal-hinged wire harness?

the wiring harness is not broken, but one poster didn't have a broken harness but had to use a bungy to pull it down out of the seal.

#11 howlingdawg

howlingdawg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:54 AM

Humble apologies on a crucial typos:

"now sealing" should be "Not Sealing".
"retesting with an empty Drawer" (drill?)

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:31 AM

should start a New Topic ...

closing this 2005 thread ...

service manual links PM'd

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics