Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Guest scoutfive

ge washer

15 posts in this topic

Hi there, I have a problem woth my washer. It won't fill or spin. I've taken the front off and I am still lost. It agitates though...I just fixed that a few months ago. Maybe it is time for a new one. What does anyone think???

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

post your model number so we can know if its the newer style or older style

[user=0]scoutfive[/user] wrote:

It won't fill or spin. I've taken the front off and I am still lost. It agitates though...

How do you get it to agitate if it won't fill?  Have you bypassed the pressure switch?

I took a bucket of water and dumped it in. All it does is agitate and pump out the water.

I'm having the same identical problem...please help.

First reaction is water level switch - needs "empty" contact made both for filling and spin.

Okay so how does a clean contact go "empty"? Is it the plastic piece that connects the hoses to hot and cold?

Clean the schmutz out of here with a small flat screwdriver.  Or get mildly violent with the water level switch.  Move it roughly all the way back and forth a few times.

149874817.jpg

I really had to crank the water level switch a few times. At first I just heard the motor and then I moved it back and forth a few more times and wow.....water

It's not fixed yet.  Order a new pressure switch at the bottom of this page.  You can never trust that switch again.  Next time it fails it may do the opposite and not STOP filling. 

Looks like Mad Mac's first reaction was correct.

Just a gut feeling like the one I get when....when...I NEED MORE BEER!!!!!!!!!:yikes:

be carefull you don't leave the tube off the "air dome"

Luckily I only flooded a garage with a cement floor when I forgot, could have been worse.

after you take the tube off to clean it,

cut 1/8th inch off the end to assure a tight connection.

[user=2]Jedi Appliance Guy[/user] wrote:

Clean the schmutz out of here with a small flat screwdriver.  Or get mildly violent with the water level switch.  Move it roughly all the way back and forth a few times.

149874817.jpg

Is there any way to remove this box and clean out the shmutz?(Is this called the "air dome"?)

I've replaced the pressure switch, but I still seem to have the problem. It fills up, and doesn't stop to start the agitate cycle. When I took off this hose, it made a squeeking sound, but then I replaced it and it advanced.

Anyhow, it looks like there is some gunk in there which sounds like it might be the problem.

Enjoy the brewskis! Hope someone here can help me. :D