Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

bogreen

Kenmore Refrigerator Model #106.54573300

8 posts in this topic

Here's a confusing one.

The freezer is colder than a supermarket freezer.

The ice cream is rock solid...and I mean "rock" solid.

The ice cubes stick to your fingers when touched. Like they are almost dry ice.

Really cold in there....Brrrrrrrrrr

There is no buildup of frost on the back wall.

The fan is running, but doesn't seem too strong.

The lower vent is clear

The damper into the fresh food section is clear.

The fresh food section is not getting any air flow. No cold. Nothing.

This may not be relative to the fresh food section not getting any cold air, but the

freezer is covered with snowy frost throughout.

Also, the defrost drain line is clogged and an iceburg is on the floor of the freezer.

I know this is alot of things wrong, so I asked the customer to unplug the unit and let it defrost completely and I'd check it after it's been on for about 6 or 7 hours. Good idea?? (She hasn't turned it off yet).

Anyone encountered this scenario before??

Thanks in advance,

Boy, I'm getting the weird stuff lately.

Bruce in L.A.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

106.54573300 Wiring Diagram

Compressor will run until the Temperature Control in the Fridge side is satisfied   ...

Remove the Evaporator Cover and take a look at the frost pattern and the Fan Motor, Blade and Shaft Bearings, etc ..

[user=16374]bogreen[/user] wrote:

The fan is running, but doesn't seem too strong.

Could you elaborate on this? A lazy fan will cause the beer compartment to warm up.

Also check to make sure the air return port is not blocked with a sheet of ice, paper, or something.

Well, first, it sounds weak.

I felt the airflow coming out of the duct toward the rear of the icemaker and it

didn't feel too strong.

On other, working well refrigerators of the same type, it usually feels stronger.

The air return down at the bottom is clear.

Bruce

remove the damper cover on the freezer and ref side, there is probably gonna be chunk of ice there. I have had that happen to me on several occasions.

There is no ice there. It's totally clear and the damper opens and closes fine.

Sounds like you have a lazy evap fan motor. You say it seems lazy and it may well be. Damper works an the evap is clear so that only leaves the fan as the problem.

[user=16374]bogreen[/user] wrote:

Also, the defrost drain line is clogged and an iceburg is on the floor of the freezer.

Anyone encountered this scenario before??

Feel the air going into the refrigerator side with the freezer door shut, then again with the freezer door open. If the air flow is stronger with the freezer door open, then your return duct is blocked with ice.

The frozen/clogged drain most likely the culprit, rather than just another symptom. Clear the drain of ice (I use hot water through a squirt bottle), if the drain is still slow when thawed, it could be a clog on the other end near the condensate pan.

The recirculating moisture from the clogged drain has probably frozen in the return duct (below the vent), and will have to be removed with hot water...