Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite Range - low temp / F1 error problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thejudman

thejudman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:07 PM

Greetings,

My wife and I inherited a Kenmore Elite gas range (Model 79075903993 = Frigidaire, I believe) from my wife's sister. According to her, the oven had been displaying the "F1 error code" and would not keep the proper temperature (too low...). My wife's sister had the oven inspected by the Sears repair tech who told her she needed a new ERC. He cleaned the ribbon cable on the ERC with a pencil eraser, and supposedly the oven worked again.

At this point, the oven became ours.

It worked for a month or so, and then the low temperature problem returned. According to our oven thermometer, 375 on the display was actually 350, 400 was also 350, and 425 would hit 400, then drop down again to 350. It seems that it only likes to stay around 350.

Then, the F1 error code cropped up again. I tried the pencil eraser method of cleaning -- but the F1 came right back.

I tested the temp sensor with a multimeter -- resistance read 1098. Based on my research online, 1000-1100 is an OK reading.

I ordered the ERC from Sears. I installed it tonight.

No F1 yet, but the low temp problem remains. We'll set the oven to 375 and it'll stay at 350. Set it to 400... 350. Set it to 425... 400... then 375... then back to 350...

I now wonder if it was the temp sensor all along, which cause the F1 on the original ERC. Or I needed a new ERC *and* and new temp sensor?

I'd like to find out definitively so I can know whether to return this new ERC or not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:08 AM

I would have replaced the sensor first. The ERC's only temp reading is through the sensor. Your room temp resistence reading is correct, but that doesn't mean its working properly under load. The sensor may be failing at oven temperatures.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 thejudman

thejudman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 06:17 PM

Greetings, (some previously posted info is below, but I've added more to the story now...)

My wife and I inherited a [highlight= #ffff88]Kenmore[/highlight] [highlight= #88ffff]Elite[/highlight] gas range (Model 79075903993 = Frigidaire, I believe) from my wife's sister. According to her, the oven had been displaying the "F1 error code" and would not keep the proper temperature (too low...). My wife's sister had the oven inspected by the Sears repair tech who told her she needed a new ERC. He cleaned the ribbon cable on the ERC with a pencil eraser, and supposedly the oven worked again.

At this point, the oven became ours.

It worked for a month or so, and then the low temperature problem returned. According to our oven thermometer, 375 on the display was actually 350, 400 was also 350, and 425 would hit 400, then drop down again to 350. It seems that it only likes to stay around 350.

Then, the F1 error code cropped up again. I tried the pencil eraser method of cleaning -- but the F1 came right back.

I tested the temp sensor with a multimeter -- resistance read 1098. Based on my research online, 1000-1100 is an OK reading.

So -- I ordered a new ERC, installed it, and the temp problem remained.  It never gave the F1 with the new ERC, but the temp problem remained.

So... I bought a new temp sensor from Sears.  Installed it along with the *OLD* ERC -- the oven kept temp great and we were excited to be able to return the $250 ERC to Sears.  Went to bed that night.... and then woke up to find "F1" back on the display.  So... new temp sensor + old ERC = F1 after normal use.

So then I just installed the NEW ERC to go with the previously installed NEW temp probe...  no F1 yet, but the original temperature problem is back.   I hate this oven.

In summary:

1. F1 error and temp problem

2. New ERC installed - same temp problem - No F1.

3. New temp sensor installed, OLD ERC - worked great for a few hours, then F1.

4. New temp sensor + NEW ERC - same temp problem as before -- no F1 yet (hasn't been more than an hour yet...)

Both temp sensors read 1090 or so at room temp -- I've not tested either under load.  Is that safe?  It seems I could just heat it up, unplug it, and pull the wires out the back to test.

What are the odds my replacement parts are faulty?

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks,

-Jud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics