Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Milanomike

GE Icemaker 2 Dead

4 posts in this topic

OK,

Searched and learned a lot, as always a great site.

Got a GE icemaker 2 (IM2) that doesn't make ice, some checking indicates the relay valve at the bottom of the fridge may be dead (13 y/o fridge) as no water gets to the IM.  I do have voltage at the valve when the IM calls for water. 

Online places indicate this valve is ~30 bucks.  Seems like suppliers are selling the IM4 online for ~60 bucks.  Will the IM4 straight swap out with the IM2.  The unit appears to come with an assortment of plugs so that you can plug right in.  By straight swap, I mean uses existing screws/holes to fasten to wall.  This seems like a better way to go than replacing the valve so the rest of the IM2 can die a couple of weeks from now.  Any thoughts appreciated.

Mike

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

[user=13246]Milanomike[/user] wrote:

... I do have voltage at the valve when the IM calls for water...
120v ? (and the input "screen" is not clogged) ?

Yes, I read 110+ volts at the valve.  Good point, didn't know there was a screen in there.  Do I have to disassemble valve to check screen.   Will have a look and report back.

Mike

It may have a "screen" and may be visible when the Water Input Line is removed.. just like on a garden hose.