Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung all in one: CLX3160

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Teresad

Teresad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:02 PM

I have a Samsung CLX-3160 all in one laser printer/copier/scanner. During a VERY close lightening strike (virtually right outside my window) the communication port to it got damaged. I had the printer plugged into a surge protector...to little avail.

At first I thought the issue was my computer (since a portion of my motherboard got fritzed), so I plugged it into the imac in the house (which BTW was completely unaffected by the strike), but still no talk from the computer is getting to the printer. I had hoped that a just a replacement USB cord could fix it...but it didn't. So yeah, the printer's not talking to any technology anymore. Is there a way I can fix this (within reasonable expense)?

Another problem with the printer (and this was an issue BEFORE the lightening) is that any time  I tried to copy with it, it would copy onto the new page only partway and the words were all squiggly and wavy. Still having that problem actually. I'm thinking a wobbly scanning bar??? But weirdly, when I would scan photos and documents for my computer, the scans came out looking great.

Any ideas?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jmatthew

jmatthew

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:......coffee, any coffee.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:08 PM

I have not seem any comments to your issue since your initial post.  So, I will suggest and comment:

1.  An old power systems engineer once told me that if you can hear the thunder, the power surge from the strike could affect your home.  Its healthy paranoia that I switch off and unplug my computer equipment and unplug my DSL line from the modem.  I used to tempt fate when I had a APS Back Office UPS with battery backup. Not any more.

2.  The 'square' surge suppressor, was it one of the units that plug into both receptacle of a wall outlet?  If so, the active component is a MOV (metal oxide varistor.)  The MOVs tend to degrade over time and don't give any warning.  At least the canaries miners used would die before the oxygen decreased to a dangerous level - so I am told.

3. What communication options do you have? (parallel, LAN, USB, serial)  The higher priced models, high productivity office types, may have separate communication boards.  I suspect yours does not, so there not much you can repair in the unit.

4. The scanner is nothing more that an one row array of detectors that is moved by a high resolution motor.  The data is read as it moves, and stored for either copying or transmission to a PC/MAC  If your PC does not exhibit the 'squiggly' output, then it probably is not the scanner.

5. You were lucky with the imac.  On the PC, what was fritzed? and does it still operate?

I would recommend looking around for another multifunction machine.  I have a unit that has LAN, Parallel and USB connectivity.  I wish I would have purchased the unit with duplexing capability (oh well, that will be the next one.)

let us know what you found out.

#3 Teresad

Teresad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've been buried in books and documents for the last few weeks, hence my tardiness.

1. Yeah, I know better than to keep things plugged in during a storm. It rolled in quick and I was in the middle of a download. I mistakenly gambled that I could finish the download and then unplug without risking much. Eh...bad gamble.

2. The surge protector I had was a cheaper variety...Target special I think. Not the MOV kind. I've now invested in higher priced Belkins. The one I have now plugged my mother's iMac into though is an MOV. That protector is only a few weeks old, but thanks for the warning regarding the eventual degradation in the future.

3. The printer has USB and LAN only. Neither of which work since the strike. If this gets replaced, I will most certainly make sure my next one has a serial or parallel port included.

4. Yeah the computer scans come out very nice. Which is why the squiggly half-done copies is such a weird thing.

5. My PC went into a coma for two days. It wouldn't turn or nothin during that time. Then it just spontaneously turned back on. All of my USB ports got fried. So I added a PCI card with 4 extra USB's. And those work dandy, to one of which I have connected another 4 slot USB hub. I do get these pop-ups now on my computer telling me the USB device cannot be recognized or is not functioning, even though all my peripherals actually work fine on the PCI card and hub. But I've just learned to ignore the windows, cuz all the clicking just won't make them go away. The hard drive seems intact and my software runs fine. CD/DVD drive also works well.

So yeah, I may be buying another multifunction (with a serial or parallel port included). Though the fact that Samsung and HP machines I have owned both developed stupid glitches within the first 18 months of ownership makes me hesitant about those two brands. Canon or Konica maybe?

Also, would I be able to use the laser ink cartridges from my defunct printer in a new one of another brand?

One more thing for curiosity sake: Lets say I plug an MOV into a wall socket, then plug a second surge protector into the MOV. The computer (or other equipment) would be plugged into the second surge protector. Would this provide extra protection to the equipment, or am I just setting up two surge protectors for destruction rather than one, with no real extra protection?

Thanks!

#4 jmatthew

jmatthew

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

I would not be in a hurry to purchase a multi-function printer that has serial communications.  It would be a rare machine in any case.  I suggested looking for that on your machine as a 'last ditch effort.'  As you shop for a replacement machine, your options will most probably be USB, Ethernet, parallel and possibly firewire.  Since most new PCs are dropping parallel and/or serial ports in favor of the newer (faster and more flexible) Universal Serial Bus (USB.)  Some MFPs have wireless capability.  That may be handy with your multi-platform household, or you can add a wireless router and connect your printer through that....

Unless you look for a machine that uses the same toner cartridge, I would doubt you can buy a HP MFP and use any thing Samsnug in it.  As for brands, I have used the ones you have had problems with.  I currently have a Brother MFP that is about two years old and has performed about 4500 prints - no problems (knock on wood.)

Using two surge suppressors plugged together may be like two pairs of pants.  You should make sure the outlet you plug it into is grounded properly.  You can buy small testers to verify your outlet - Harbor Freight
ITEM 32907-2VGA - $4.99
file:///tmp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///tmp/moz-screenshot-1.jpgPosted Image

#5 volleyball

volleyball

Ikkō-ikki

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

As someone who used to repair printers, they are now a throwaway item. printers are sold at a loss so why not buy a new one? cartridges probably won't work.
if your motherboard got partially fried, there is other things you have not seen. Good chance the power supply has been damaged. you could at least open it up and see if any of the caps have leaked or bulged tops.
If you are handy, replacing mobo should be easy.
As far as surge protectors goes, they don't really degrade. what happens is that you get a surge, they do their job and die. you reset them and you think they are working but they are not. they are now just a power strip. If you live in a neighborhood with lots of others nearby, you have less to worry about. If you have trouble seeing your neighbor due to distance, you need to up your protection.
You can get a whole house protector which goes on the panel box and then still have spot protectors for your valuable electronics. I have them on all tv's, all computers, my networking equipment and stereos

#6 jmatthew

jmatthew

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

ditto

Since I need binoculars to see my neighbor, I also have implemented the same surge suppression strategy, including a APC Back-UPS 800 for the PC, network and modem.

#7 Teresad

Teresad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll be taking my old all-in-one in for recycling.

I did buy a new all-in-one. Though no serial or parallel port....since as you stated those are becoming obsolete.

I should have checked to see if this one had an ethernet port though. It doesn't. Only USB. And my wireless router doesn't let USB's connect. I didn't even think to get one with Bluetooth capability (feels dumb). So now I'm trying to figure out HTH to get my mother's iMac to transmit print jobs to the printer through my PC....which I'm still puzzling over.

This new all-in-one is a Brothers. So I'm hoping for better luck with it, though it suffered a paper jam two days after I got it. I'm hoping that was a one-time glitch. But I did sign up for a special guarantee program for the next two years. So that if the machine fails for any reason (lightening, jams, meteor hit) I can get it replaced with the same model or similar model for free at my nearby OfficeMax.

Thanks for the tip on the outlet tester! I had no idea such a little tool existed. Will get one of those. As for neighbors...got plenty. I live in an apartment complex. And I doubt the landlord would let me put up a whole "house protector" ;)

#8 jmatthew

jmatthew

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:19 PM

Can you return it for one with ethernet capability?

#9 Teresad

Teresad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

Actually I'm going to get my mother her own color ink-jet. She only uses the all-in-one for copies, which she can still do. And with her ink-jet she can print out the occasional color pics that she likes to post up and the occasional letter she likes to mail.

The trick is finding one that is REALLY easy for her to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics