Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Qbert

Sharp Microwave dead

4 posts in this topic

Came across this site yesterday and it is a wealth of knowledge. Glad to have found it.

I have a Sharp microwave that is approximately 7 years old. It worked great until yesterday when I hit the start button and it did for about a nano second and then all power was lost. I found this site and did a quick search. The results pointed to a blown ceramic fuse which I bought and replaced.

The microwave powered back up and the clock showed up. I proceeded to enter a time to cook but as soon as I hit the start button, the oven immediately went dead.

Any thoughts on what may be wrong?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Now the fun begins: you have to find out why that fuse keeps blowing. If you're lucky, it's something simple like a pinched wire. Be warned, though-- I've been seeing lots of bad control boards on these Sharps.

What is the first step for checking to see if it is the control panel? Can I isolate the control panel from the rest of the sequence to see? Would there be any other signs or hints that it is the control panel? When the fuse was replaced, the control panel came up fine.

Would a pinched wire be related to the door closing mechanism? I saw a few references to this problems in other posts.

A pinched wire may be visible upon close inspection. Also, test the magnetron for a current path to ground. While you're in there, might as well test all the HV components. Be carefull about the capacitor-- it holds 2000 volts, even when unplugged. Ouch!