Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Mac OS X iBook G4 Version 10.4.11

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stargirl277

stargirl277

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

I used to be able to put a CD in my computer and play music or view what was on the CD :)

but then one day it wouldn't let me do that anymore... :(

Now when I put a CD in, my computer makes noises like it's assessing the CD or something, and then after about 30 seconds or so, it spits the CD out :X

This is a very distressing state of affairs and I don't know what to do!!

Can anybody help me?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

Hello, my distressed friend. The optical drive may be either fouled or malfunctioning. The ibooks are tedious to disassemble and, once apart, even more difficult to put back together. You might try running a CD cleaner in it and see if that resolves the problem.

Allahu Akbar!

#3 stargirl277

stargirl277

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:43 PM

Oh... hmm... what is the optical drive?

Thank you for the idea of running a CD cleaner... I am not sure if I have one... is that something that you insert into the computer?

I apologize for my profound ignorance!

But on the positive side, I'm surprisingly good at taking things apart and putting them back together if I have the correct instructions... should that end up being necessary.

#4 DigiPlumr

DigiPlumr

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

In my many years' experience with these Matushita (Panasonic) slot-loading optical drives, it's almost assuredly the drive itself that's failed.  I don't recommend cleaning CDs in slot-loading drives since they tend to jam in the drive.

Checkout ifixit.com for takeapart information and part information; a replacement SuperDrive will run about $90.00.  You'll want to invest in a good hard plastic "spudger" to pop the case open, iBooks are a certified pain in the rear--and using a metal tool with damage the case faster than you can whistle "Dixie".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics