Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

another ice maker problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bbphillips

bbphillips

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:58 AM

Greetings,

I have a Kenmore frig, model 25379822890

Ice maker model a-38

Was reading many of the posts to try and figure out my problem and had this happen:

Problem, no ice, no cycle.

Cutting to the chase, I rotated the small gear counter clockwise with a screwdriver. It came to life but was stuck, trying to move by itself but not able. It kept trying. I "helped" it past this stuck spot. The metal arm that goes up and stops the icemaker when the tray is full was neither up nor down when this started. It was at about 4 o'clock. After helping the gears get past the stuck part the arm went down, and I heard the water flow.

Question: What would have caused it to be stuck? I just unstuck it so I don't know what will happen when it trys to cycle again.

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:02 AM

This is a Frigidaire frig with the Kenmore name stuck on the front, just watch it for a bit, could have been jammed with ice, also the defrost heater could be out, or the motor is going bad, thermostat could be going ka-poot.  If it keeps doing this a new ice maker may be needed.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 bbphillips

bbphillips

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:14 AM

Thanks, I will see how it does on this cycle. I live in a rental house and the landlord said the icemaker didn't work. I'd prefer if it did:)

#4 bbphillips

bbphillips

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

Made ice but got stuck again during the cycle to dump the ice. How do the ice cubes get carried out without falling back into the icemaker? Also, when the cycle stops, where do the white arms that push out the ice come to rest between cycles. When I "helped" it earlier I pushed it hard enought to cause it to jump teeth on the gears. The arms that eject the ice are stopped at about the 9 o'clock position looking from the front (obviously). If that is not correct, should I take the screw off of the big gear and rotate the arms to be in another posistion?

Thanks

#5 bbphillips

bbphillips

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:04 PM

Sorry, a little more info: the cubes that were being pushed out were in various stages of ejection. Some seemed to be preventing the arms from rotating. They looked as though they had been ejected but fell back down into the icemaker.

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:18 PM

Right, the ice cubes themselves might be causing the jamming.  Make sure the ice maker is level, and the cubes are not too small or large, can  cause them to  jam.  You might not be getting the proper fill also into the ice maker, could have a fill valve going bad?  Are the gears on the front of the ice maker missing any teeth??  The motor that runs the rake might be going bad also.  Lots of possible problems here, just have to figure out which ones.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#7 bbphillips

bbphillips

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:27 PM

There are no teeth missing from the gears. Frig seems to be level. The cubes seemed to be near normal size. Since I had the water lines off earlier there may have been air in the lines that caused an improper fill. Should be better this cycle.

Is there a link to explain the whole cycle? I'd like to know how the rake rotates through and picks up the ice and dumps them into the bin without letting them fall back into the icemaker.

What tells the rake when to stop in its cycle? As I stated, the rake has stopped at about the 9 o'clock position. If this is not the right place I will need to advance the rake so that it cycles properly. Seems to me that  the rake would stop at about the 3 o'clock postion, just after dumping the cubes.

Thanks

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

The new style modular ice makers stop at the 2 o'clock postiion, the older ones stopped at the 9-10 o'clock position, some would rotate once and scoop the ice out and it would sit on top of the rake while the ice maker filled with water and froze.  It would then rotate and dump the ice the next time it went thru the harvest cycle.  Others rotated twice, the first rotation scooped the ice out and dumped it then rotated again, called for water and stalled.   YOu cannot change the position of the rake, it is in a cam which is geared to be in a certain place at certain times.  There is a  thermostat and micro switches in the head that control all of these functions controled by the cam that is driven by the motor and also contols the postion of the rake.

#9 bbphillips

bbphillips

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:25 PM

Just observed a cycle. The rake came around and stopped at the cubes, the motor continually trying to turn the rake but not able. I got a hair dryer and heated the bottom of the unit. The rake then freely moved and picked up the ice. The rake stopped with the cubes on it at about the 9 to 9:30 position, so mine is the type that picks up the ice then stops and waits to dump it at the next cycle.

I had turned the +/- screw to the plus side before the last cycle so it may have made too big of cubes that the rake could not move. I turned it more to the - side before it filled so I'll see if the rake can get these next cubes out.

The motor does seem to strain at times. I'll just have to watch it some more to figure out if there are multiple problems.

Thanks for your help!

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:30 PM

When the thermost in the head closes at about 14-16 degrees that starts the harvest cycle, the motor starts the rake rotating and the thermostat turns on the mold heater on the bottom of the ice maker.  Until the ice loosens, the rake will rest against the ice, this is what is called  stalling, and is normal, the motor is designed to let itself be stalled until the ice is loose.  If the heater is not coming on the ice will never be removed from the mold, the IM will just sit there and go no further.  You need to check and see if this heater is coming on by carefully touching this heater when it starts a harvest cycle, but this can burn if it is on so be very careful.

#11 bbphillips

bbphillips

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

The heater does turn on, I see that now that I understand how it works.

Best I can tell the weakest link in this process is the motor that turns the rake. At the very beginning of the cycle the motor gets stuck when the rake is still rotating in the open air, nothing holding it back. It acts like a gear is broken but none of the visible gears are broken.  The rake is at about 11:00 when the motor starts to bog down like it does when it reaches the frozen cubes before they are released by the defroster.

Suppose I could buy a new motor and replace the gears even though they look good. They couldn't be too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics