Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Evap Fan not working... need help

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Demon

Demon

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:24 AM

OK, after looking through the forums for a little while now I thought it would be best to post this one as I had not seen anything close.

Background: Kenmore 596.5864290 Side by side with water/ice in door... REAPLACED Evap-fan motor part # 10513803

Story: OK, came home yester day and grabbed for a cold soda and to my surprise it wasn't... cold that is... anyway, popped open the freezer door and my Ice ain't Ice... more of a pool of ice in the bottom where the evap coils are. OK, so now I got big ol mess, lucky mom stopped by because wife and I were up to our necks with a mess from all the melted crap. Get everything out and cleaned up. Pull the back cover off and click it on and no fan.... AHHH HAAA!!! :shock: Next day run to parts store, go home, return to parts store with numbers that I left on desk. (useless info I know but hey) Get my new motor and head home.. should have nice frosty soda in no time!!! WRONG! :yikes: New fan popped in, twist the knob, compressor fires up and nada... fan ain't turnin... Double check wires, ground, all bolts.. NADA!!! :yikes:

I figure it must be a relay or maybe a switch problem but have no clue where to look or anything and can't find a diagram anywhere to show where to look..

Thanks in advance for any help.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:47 PM

Sounds like you're stuck in defrost, but re-check the model number - I can't get anything up on the one you gave (should have 8 digits after the 596.).
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:53 PM

Looks like Maytag frig with the Kenmore name on it, but could not bring up that model number to see what is in there, can you recheck this please?
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:55 PM

Hummmmm, would the compressor not be dead in defrost?  He said the compressor was running......
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Demon

Demon

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

I am sorry, my fast fingers missed a diget there... 596.58642890, and yes I do belive that it is a maytag in disguise... The compressor is kicking on and the coils are icing up when it is turned on but fan won't turn to circulate the nice coldness ;)

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:47 PM

[user=2834]Demon[/user] wrote:

REAPLACED Evap-fan motor part # 10513803

Before you replaced the evap fan, did you check to see whether or not the fan motor was getting voltage?

Post a legible and properly oriented copy of the wiring diagram for your fridge (it's cleverly hidden in the fridge-- look around, you'll find it). On some of these, the evap fan circuit is completed through the defrost thermostat.

#7 Demon

Demon

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:56 PM

2 problems with that ;( one I have no way to scan the diagram, 2 it's a bit tore up from being under the fridge... but it does connect to the defrost timer and terminator both then to the temp control. I hope this helps with the figuring out of what/where I should look

#8 Demon

Demon

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:58 PM

Also, had a couple pretty bad storms here but no severe surges, but we did have several temporary outages.

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,810 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:15 PM

Ohm out the defrost thermostat. Make sure it's at freezer temp first. If it's open, replace it-- that was probably the original problem.

#10 Demon

Demon

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

I am slightly confused, at freezer temp?

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,810 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:53 PM

Don't let it warm up when you test it or it will always read open and the test won't mean anything.

#12 Demon

Demon

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:56 PM

ahh ok so test it with everything off as it is now, and has been for the last day and a half.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,810 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:08 PM

ahh ok so test it with everything off as it is now, and has been for the last day and a half.

Now, let's compare your reply with my unambiguous instructions:

Don't let it warm up when you test it or it will always read open and the test won't mean anything.

#14 DB130

DB130

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:37 AM

Um, no, that would be room temperature.  Perhaps you could take it to your mother's house and put in in her freezer for an hour or two then test it?

#15 Lurker_I"m just peachy_*

Lurker_I"m just peachy_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:50 AM

We had the same problem with our refrigerator. After the second time, Sears replaced the sub kit, defrost. I believe by our receipt that the part number is 46464R0161088.  Our fridge would work then it wouldn't. Since they've replaced the part we haven't had any problems.

#16 Lurker_imjustpeachy_*

Lurker_imjustpeachy_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:55 AM

I forgot to tell you that Sears charged us $40.28 for the parts, I won't even mention the labor costs!! Well, anyway the sub kit for the defrost is what you need. Hope this helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics