Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
Tad

What's the best "energy efficent" refrigerator?

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

We moved into a new home last month and inherited a 15 year old Whirlpool refrigerator (model ET22DKXWW00).  It works ok but I get the feeling it's sucking a lot of power.  Any suggestions on a replacement? 

(not a specific model... just manufacturer... GE Profle, Kenmore, LG, Samsung, etc...)

Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

It is better to make use of the "Energy Star" as one of the guide-lines.

Ah yes, the "Energy Star" label!  :banana: Forgot about that... thanks!

So looking at the brands I mentioned, are there any to stay away from?  The guy at work (Home Depot) swears by GE Profile refrigerators.   I've always considered Frigidaires to be ok...

I think I'm going to be sick.

:puke:

Sorry Tad,

It's just.... Ask every tech here which appliance brands they think give you the most bang for the buck and which ones suck.

I'll bet most will say whirlpool is one of the best and GE and Frigidaire suck.

If it's beat up and ugly from being old or if you think you don't have enough room with a 22 cubic ft fridge then maybe get a new one.  But to replace a known working whirlpool with a GE or a Frigidaire because you think it uses too much energy would almost be a SIN. (in my humble opinion of course).

The first bit of line noise or power spike your electric company sends your way can lock up the computer in one of those new pieces of crap and you could be out hundreds of dollars worth of food.  So much for savings.

Oops..................Forgive me for rambling.

YA!!! Tad, what Jedi said is 100% correct!!!!!!!

Tell it like it is Jedi, I bet those guy's at the Depot are SALESMEN:yikes: