Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Subzero says vacuum condenser

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:04 AM

I have a Subzero 690S refrigerator bought in 2001. Several months ago, I saw a message on the control unit that said vacuum condenser. I opened the upper vent area and vacuumed the dust off the condenser (radiator-looking thing). I then reset the display by turning the unit off and then on. However, it immediately comes on and says "vacuum condenser". Is there something else I should do? I called Subzero and they recommended having a service person come look at it. It is otherwise working fine.Thanks.

Dave

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:18 AM

Condenser fan running?

#3 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:38 AM

I will check when I get home. Wouldn't the refrigerator be acting strangly (overheating, etc) if the fan wasn't working? Does it run whenever the fridge is running?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:45 AM

[user=2850]dave42[/user] wrote:

Wouldn't the refrigerator be acting strangly (overheating, etc) if the fan wasn't working?

Uh, it IS acting strangely-- I believe that's why you posted this in the forum. :goofus:

Does it run whenever the fridge is running?

Whenever the compressor runs, to be precise.

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:08 AM

The vaccuum condensor light just means one or more compressor in the unit has excessive run time, you need to have this unit checked, your compressor(s) are running too long for some reason so might be a sealed systen problem developing. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:18 AM

I checked, and the fan is indeed running. I will call the service guy. I was hoping it may have been something I could easily rectify. Thanks.

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:22 AM

Welcome....;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:56 AM

Well, after really vacuuming the condenser yesterday and resetting the unit, the warning has remained off, so I will wait until it reappears before calling the service guy.

#9 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:34 AM

By the way, I thought I would give some feedback on this as I noticed I had not followed up.

In case anyone has a Subzero with this problem, this is a very common problem with Subzeroes. The warning came back on, and it meant there was something wrong with our sealed system....some kind of tiny leak or something.

The repairman fixed it under warantee but said this is some defect with Subzeroes that is well known.

#10 slawless

slawless

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the feed back, given your experience I had my service guy look at it. My Sub Zero is about 10 years old and had never given me any trouble. So when it the warning lit up I felt something was up. However being cheap I might have tried to vacuum it and wait.

Result:  My Sub Zero was leaking and needed a new evaporator coil.

you may have save me a bigger bill later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics