Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
can-do

GE dishwasher stall

9 posts in this topic

My GSD5112F01AA has not been much in use in the last couple of months.  It was turned on last week as I went out the door and appears to have gotten stuck after just running some water.  Now each time I flip the breaker and reset to try to get it to run, there are switching and humming sounds, a little "hot metal" smell, and then no-go.

Another thread ("older GSD500 model") refers to a stuck fan blade and otherwise sounds like a similar problem, but I can't see the same pic that you show.

The motor DOES seem to be heating up, but I can't seem to pull it off or move anything to where I can see a fan anywhere.  (When I removed the three mounting screws for the motor, I can't disengage the shaft.)

Very much a baby grasshopper repair person here.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

[user=2852]can-do[/user] wrote:

Another thread ("older GSD500 model") refers to a stuck fan blade and otherwise sounds like a similar problem, but I can't see the same pic that you show.

Post a picture of what you're looking at.

You have the newer style motor, then the pictures you are referring to.

The fan to turn on yours is through the back of the motor, see the arrow at the bottom, reach in with a finger and turn the fan. If it is hard to turn then seems to break free then that should fix your problem. If you reach in and it already turns free then you have some other problem, (probably a bad motor).

I see some signs of leakage it looks like at the bottom of your drain solenoid and on the water inlet line. This may be from the pump seal leaking which could have taken the front motor bearings out.

If you determine that you need the pump/motor assembly you can get it right here: WD26X10011 Motor/Pump kit $127.30 CLICK HERE

OK, can't get any movement there, so maybe a new pump and motor are required..  The replacement looks like it could be a more substantial job than this novice could attempt.  Could you give an estimate of the level of effort and expertise it would require?

Actually, it's a pretty easy job, the biggest part is getting the dishwasher out and back in.

You need to shut off the water and power and then remove the water line and power cord and two screws holding dishwasher to top of counter top then slide the whole unit out.

You might want to take yourself some pictures of everything before you take anything apart for reference later when reassembling.

I also believe the instruction sheet that comes with that kit is pretty detailed also.

OK, I'm trying to get up my nerve, and also to schedule when I can get to this. A related question: is it possible that hard water was a cause of the initial problem? Need to take whatever measures would be prudent to prevent this happening again.

[user=2852]can-do[/user] wrote:

OK, I'm trying to get up my nerve, and also to schedule when I can get to this.

Piece of pie, comrade. Three mugs on the SUDs-o-meter. Plug n' chug!

A related question: is it possible that hard water was a cause of the initial problem? Need to take whatever measures would be prudent to prevent this happening again.

Nyet, tovarish. You're dealing with what we certifiable appliance gurus call, "GE crappola."

Sorry for the pokey update, but I HAVE indeed succeeded in reviving the dishwasher (i.e. replacing the pump and motor), with your help and encouragement. (And with the aid of a couple of spare hands at critical moments.) Have now ordered a new intake valve for my washing machine, with some of the "confidence capital" earned from this project. Time for me to look into donations to that beer fund.