Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE dishwasher stall

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 can-do

can-do

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:59 AM

My GSD5112F01AA has not been much in use in the last couple of months.  It was turned on last week as I went out the door and appears to have gotten stuck after just running some water.  Now each time I flip the breaker and reset to try to get it to run, there are switching and humming sounds, a little "hot metal" smell, and then no-go.

Another thread ("older GSD500 model") refers to a stuck fan blade and otherwise sounds like a similar problem, but I can't see the same pic that you show.

The motor DOES seem to be heating up, but I can't seem to pull it off or move anything to where I can see a fan anywhere.  (When I removed the three mounting screws for the motor, I can't disengage the shaft.)

Very much a baby grasshopper repair person here.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 August 2005 - 04:20 PM

[user=2852]can-do[/user] wrote:

Another thread ("older GSD500 model") refers to a stuck fan blade and otherwise sounds like a similar problem, but I can't see the same pic that you show.

Post a picture of what you're looking at.

#3 can-do

can-do

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:24 PM

This is the part I am referring to on my machine.

Can't find the thread I was alluding to, but here is an example of the photo that was cited:

http://groups.msn.co...oto&PhotoID=738

The problem sounds similar to what I'm experiencing, but I can't seem to locate anything that looks like the fan pictured.

Attached Files

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:47 AM

You have the newer style motor, then the pictures you are referring to.

The fan to turn on yours is through the back of the motor, see the arrow at the bottom, reach in with a finger and turn the fan. If it is hard to turn then seems to break free then that should fix your problem. If you reach in and it already turns free then you have some other problem, (probably a bad motor).

I see some signs of leakage it looks like at the bottom of your drain solenoid and on the water inlet line. This may be from the pump seal leaking which could have taken the front motor bearings out.

If you determine that you need the pump/motor assembly you can get it right here: WD26X10011 Motor/Pump kit $127.30 CLICK HERE
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 can-do

can-do

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:11 AM

OK, can't get any movement there, so maybe a new pump and motor are required..  The replacement looks like it could be a more substantial job than this novice could attempt.  Could you give an estimate of the level of effort and expertise it would require?

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,884 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:18 AM

Actually, it's a pretty easy job, the biggest part is getting the dishwasher out and back in.

You need to shut off the water and power and then remove the water line and power cord and two screws holding dishwasher to top of counter top then slide the whole unit out.

You might want to take yourself some pictures of everything before you take anything apart for reference later when reassembling.

I also believe the instruction sheet that comes with that kit is pretty detailed also.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 can-do

can-do

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 03:25 AM

OK, I'm trying to get up my nerve, and also to schedule when I can get to this. A related question: is it possible that hard water was a cause of the initial problem? Need to take whatever measures would be prudent to prevent this happening again.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:26 PM

[user=2852]can-do[/user] wrote:

OK, I'm trying to get up my nerve, and also to schedule when I can get to this.

Piece of pie, comrade. Three mugs on the SUDs-o-meter. Plug n' chug!

A related question: is it possible that hard water was a cause of the initial problem? Need to take whatever measures would be prudent to prevent this happening again.

Nyet, tovarish. You're dealing with what we certifiable appliance gurus call, "GE crappola."

#9 can-do

can-do

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:05 PM

Sorry for the pokey update, but I HAVE indeed succeeded in reviving the dishwasher (i.e. replacing the pump and motor), with your help and encouragement. (And with the aid of a couple of spare hands at critical moments.) Have now ordered a new intake valve for my washing machine, with some of the "confidence capital" earned from this project. Time for me to look into donations to that beer fund.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics