Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Touchpad (mostly) not working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KobeManInJapan

KobeManInJapan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:18 PM

Dai Sensei-please help us...Our Kenmore was purchased from Sears  in Canada just less than 3 years ago.  It is called "Sears Kenmore Self-cleaning Convection".Everything wsas fine up until 2 days ago.  On the oven drawer the model # is C 970-65042 (I did triple check it), and then NF 23518410 is below that.  I tried looking up the model # on the repairparts site and struck out.  There is 960 (Caloric) and 790 (WCI), but no 970.The closest model I could find on the website is:http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=02296614000&tab=spe#tabNow the 2 columns on the far right don't work, and as the bottom right button is the "start" button, we can't get the timer or oven to do anything.#2,3,5,6,8,9,0 and start are all out of order.  Every other button on the pad works (oven controls on left, buttons below clock display etc...), but without the "start" we are sunk.  Clock is keeping time for now, although re-setting it looks to be impossible without the "start" operating.Range top controls are dial type and work fine.We love the way the ceramic cooktop still looks like new, the size of the oven and the convection feature, and as we paid some $750 for it and another $600 to have it shipped here to Japan, replacing the entire unit is not an option.Thanks for the help in advance.  Arigatou.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KobeManInJapan

KobeManInJapan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:28 PM

Called the Sears My Home line listed in the manual for parts and service questions.  After one of those annoying menus and a 5 minute wait the woman comes on and tells me that they do not have part numbers for appliances purchased in Canada.  They also had no phone number for "people outside Canada".  Seems the only way to contact them is via email.  I submitted the description and C 970 model number.  We'll see how long it takes for them to get back to me.

#3 KobeManInJapan

KobeManInJapan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:48 PM

I haven't heard back from Sears Canada regarding the part # and it has been over a week.  Sear USA says they can"t provide info on Sears Canada products (though they used to), and that there is no phone line for that service (I have a hard time imagining they all sit in a room answering emails, with no phone connections).Any suggestions?  Life without an oven is frustrating...

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

This site is in the UK but I believe they have tech's in there from Canada.  I would try posting this in the site to see if someone might be able to help you??? http://www.ukwhitego...=viewforum&f=33
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 KobeManInJapan

KobeManInJapan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Pegi.I just found out the part number for the touchpad is #318 217 203 and for the Electronic Controller is 318 193 201.Calling Sears Canada takes persistance, as the number the post on the website is for the USA.  Still I got through and got some part numbers, but no more info as the system was being "updated".I would think my model would be identical to one sold in the US, but perhaps I am wrong?

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:06 PM

Hi there, stand by a few, Shane is looking up the cross and will be helping shortly...;)  Shane knows how to help in these matters, he is a Master....:cool:
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 shane

shane

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:01 PM

Hi, i did some checking on my model look up it seems your model is missing one digit:D...the cloest i came up with is C970-652042 year 2003 or a  C970-625042  year 2002 both of these has a rubber push buttons on glass .From what your discribing this is a touch glass with no rubber buttons. It does sound like touch glass is bad assuming ribbon conector is seated into erc properly.  Here is a canadain parts department they can look up your model#  1-877-348-6565 :phone: All else fails ther should be a sticker on clock with part number and the back side of glass usually at end on ribbon conector.

#8 KobeManInJapan

KobeManInJapan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

Suminasen sensei...You are right, in that I managed to leave out an all important digit!   C 970-657043 is the correct number for my 2002 oven/range.  Calling the 1-877 number won't work for me as I am out of Canada, so I have to call the USA and have them transfer the call...aagghhh.    The touch glass sounds more accurate than "rubber" buttons.  So would I be looking for a "touchpad" rather than "electronic controller", right?  I will pull the oven out from the wall and look for any easy to find part numbers tonight to double check.   Can I buy this anywhere else except Sears?[user=1740]shane[/user] wrote:

Hi, i did some checking on my model look up it seems your model is missing one digit:D...the cloest i came up with is C970-652042 year 2003 or a  C970-625042  year 2002 both of these has a rubber push buttons on glass .From what your discribing this is a touch glass with no rubber buttons. It does sound like touch glass is bad assuming ribbon conector is seated into erc properly.  Here is a canadain parts department they can look up your model#  1-877-348-6565 :phone: All else fails ther should be a sticker on clock with part number and the back side of glass usually at end on ribbon conector.

#9 shane

shane

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:29 PM

Hi, i cross checked for you the part #... you supplied 318193201 for controller which  is correct.  Part # 318217203 is a glass control panel which you may need to resolve problem(good chance) is a white in color. According to your model though is another color called Bisque(off white or light almond) which is # 318217205 Frigidaire builds your unit they do list the part number on the parts look up so you could try them if sears gives you the run around.:bart: 

#10 KobeManInJapan

KobeManInJapan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for the confirmation on the part numbers.  Any chance the Parts section of this website has them?  In any case, I will be out of town for a couple weeks. Hopefully we can figure this out when I get back.

#11 KobeManInJapan

KobeManInJapan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:02 PM

Back after an exended vacation up north (In Hokkaido).Shane, you mentioned the maker is Frigidaire-is there a model number I can use to find the part via Part Detective?  I found a panel with membrane, panel control, overly, touchpad-but none with my design.  Any help on finding the part through your website here?Are these part numbers listed under Sears or Frigidaire or both?I am thinking I should pull the oven away from the wall and look for the part-of course I don't know what to look for once I find it to decide what to order.Perhaps just order 318217205 ?  If so from here or from Sears?Thanks again.Fall means pie season...need to get it working now.

#12 KobeManInJapan

KobeManInJapan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:15 PM

Got back off and verified controller number was as Shane said.Not sure how to get touchpad off.How do I order touchpad withut model number for repairparts site?  The part number is not showing up on their system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics