Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile: un-cold beer and ice cream

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MRN2

MRN2

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:56 PM

We recently moved to a new house with a 10 y/o GE SxS fridge.
Model: TPX24PRYA

The fridge has over the last few weeks been losing its cooling ability. With both the thermo and baffle set to MAX, the fridge mins out at 40-45 deg and the freeze at 15-25 deg. This is the COLDest - and with kids opening the doors its often much warmer. (It seemed colder when we first moved in and weren't paying attention.)

The thing runs almost all the time. The evaporator fan runs, and the compressor fan runs. The evaporator fan can hold up a peice of paper covering the vents in the back of the freezer. We vacuumed the dust off the evaporator coils. The condenser coils don't appear frosted - instead the defrost appears to click in every several hours or less. If we do hear the fans go off, it signals the start of a defrost cycle.

Is this too often a defrost cycle?

There is no frost build up in the freezer, nor in any of the three holes between freezer and fridge.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?
Replace defrost timer? (Simple, cheap first try?)
Problem in the pressurized stuff in back?
A/C the house down to 50 deg so this crappy fridge can cool the rest of the way down to 38?

Thanks,
Mark

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

The defrost timer will go into defrost every several hours on time, could not care less if the box is cold or warm.  Remove the stuff inside of  the freezer so you can access the evaperator coil at the bottom part inside of the freezer section but leave the box running as we want you to tell us what the frost pattern looks like when you take the bottom rear panel off and expose the evaperator coil in the cooling mode.  I suspect you might see a partial frost pattern.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 MRN2

MRN2

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for the response

OK - that was a bit of fun... I'm sure it'll be more fun putting it back together.

The coils are actually weird fuzzy wire-brush looking things. There is frost on the bottom few of like 20 runs. But its only been about an hour or so since the last defrost...

When will I be able to determine a partial frost pattern?
Better yet, what does that mean? Pressure stuff?

Mark

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:49 PM

Ok, the whole coil should be frosted, if only part of the coil is frosted sounds like you have a sealed system problem.  Freon leak, inefficent compressor, partial restriction.   Any of these problem will be very costly to have repaired by a professional service tech. If you replace it please do not buy another G.E., shop for a nice Whirlpool,  Roper, Estate, Kitchenaid.  The simpler the better.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 MRN2

MRN2

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

Again, thanks for the info.

The bottom half of the coil is frosted. The top half is not. Any way this could be a cheap thing?

Another thing, when the fans/compressor switches off, there is a sound like a steel ball rolling across a steel bowl. I guess that's not a "normal" sound. Dying compressor? Low freon or leak?

Given that we took possession 4 weeks ago, is this just "stuff happens" or something else?

Mark

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,917 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:51 PM

[user=2879]MRN2[/user] wrote:

Any way this could be a cheap thing?

Sealed system work may be cheap, but never inexpensive. The tea leaves tell me $500.

#7 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:52 PM

[user=2879]MRN2[/user] wrote:

The coils are actually weird fuzzy wire-brush looking things.

Ah yes..the GEs with the evaporator made out of razor blades. If you think I'm kidding, put your finger on it, you'll see what I mean. I wouldn't be inclined to invest anything in this, given your description. I don't know if you got one of those "home warranty" deals with your home, might be worth checking if you have one.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#8 MRN2

MRN2

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for the responses. The local servive techs I spoke with concur - probably $500 or more. And on a 10 y/o fridge didn't seem like a good avenue to pursue.

The new one won't be a GE.

Is there anything productive to be done with the ice maker and shelves and baskets?

M.

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 06:00 PM

Might save the ice maker in case a friend or relative might need one in the future??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics