LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Insufficient Hot Water

Condoman

I got a call the other day that the electric 40 gallon water heater did not deliver a full load of hot water.  What once was fine is now delivering less hot water when showering than it did and this happens in just a few minutes.

I pulled the covers off the WH and amp clamped the upper and it was drawing 18 A or so next, I clamped the bottom and tweaked the upper T stat to send power to the bottom.  Again 18 A like the top.

I explained to the homeowner that the T stats are the most likely culprit and they agreed that I replace them.  After a trip to the orange big box store I replaced, tested and went home.  Next day same report.  I said that the possibility is a bad replacement part and got another bottom T stat to replace the possible bad one.  As I remove the bottom cover my disruption of the work area makes the bottom begin to heat.  I take this as a faulty T stat and replace it and then do the check to confirm upper and lower test OK.

Next day same problem.  Thank goodness the home is only ¼ mile away.  This time I look through my spare parts and have a new lower from some time back.  When I get to the house I check the water temp and it is 112 degrees at the kitchen faucet.  I then pull both WH covers and using my non contact temperature gun read the tank outside temp at the top and bottom.  They are both about 109 degrees.  I deduce from this that the top is at temp along with the bottom.  I still amp clamp the elements and verify that the both function as they should.  I decide not to replace the bottom T stat.  The WH feeds two different bathrooms on the second floor.  I confirm with the resident that once water temp starts to drop there is still great flow just to be sure we are not dealing with a restriction issue.

I tell them to let me know how it works out.  Sadly it does not improve.  This time with the owner to verify I go through the testing explaining that at the time I am there they have a full tank of hot water.  To be safe I replace the bottom T stat.  I am waiting for the next call.

Have I missed anything with my diagnosis?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would do an amp test on a full tank of hot water and run the hot water completely out and see how long it actually takes to to run out.Hopefully you can catch it when it fails...you should be able to if it is happening eavery day as the customer says.

Reading the outside of the Tank temperature may not help if there's a lot of insulation ...

How's the Cold Water (Dip Tube / Sacrificial Anode) ?

Did not look at the dip tube. Can this cause the lower to not fully make it's batch of hot?

I have been with this client for 16 years and never replaced the WH in that time, so I am guessing the WH is older than 16.

Some WH's Dip Tubes are also the Sacrificial Anode, and if it's full of holes, or cracked/broke,

the cold Water entering would not go to the bottom, but would rather leave through the Hot Water Outlet.

Archived