Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

ftf2140es3 Frigidaire Washer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

I'm a stanger to self diagnostic machines, and miss the mechanical switches etc.  I also miss figuring it out, so I wanted to run what I found out by you before I go and order the part.

So I get the call that this FreakyDare horizontal axis washer won't spin.  It completes the wash and rinse, tumbling as it goes.  Then it drains.  Then it spins a few revolutions one way, stops and a few revolutions the other.  Time for it to kick into the kind of high gear that makes you glad the door is locked, and......... nothing.  No beeps or error codes either.  It just announces "I'm THROUGH!" like a small child waiting to be wiped.

So I call up the error code by pressing START and Pause Cancel.  I get an E46.  (From the service manual: "E46 Control board problem. Replace the control board.") With four flashes on the row of lights and six on Start light.  It doesn't automatically repeat, as the manual says it will, so I'm concerned that I'm not really seeing the correct code.  I repeat the sequence a few times, and am fairly convinced, but nervous on ordering a new control board on the machine's say so.

Just to check, I try to run with the door open, and unlike the no spin problem the machine announces that there is a problem there and immediately gives the correct code without being asked.  When recalled it does tell me "open door" and not Control Board problem, so now I believe the other diagnoisis even more, but why didn't it annouce a problem when there was no spin cycle?

Still doubting.  Can you believe it?  So I run a diagnostic test.  In test postion 7, it fills and spins.  In test postion 8, it drains then goes into high spin.  So the spin works, so why will it tell it to spin in the diagnostic test, but not in the wash cycle and do I need the new control board?  Main control board, right?

FYI:
FTF2140ES3 Parts List & Wiring Diagram

SERVICE MANUAL 3.0 Cu. Ft. HORIZONTAL AXIS WASHER GOOD & BETTER MODELS  11 MB

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

And this does mean the control board and not the motor control doesn't it?

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:14 AM

[user=28611]Tim M[/user] wrote:

And this does mean the control board and not the motor control doesn't it?

Yes, it would mean the control board, (Main CPU), not the motor control board.

But that is not your problem.

You have a bad wax motor in the door lock switch.  The high speed spin working in diagnostics tells me this is your problem.

You may also be reading the error codes wrong, I did until I was set straight by all the other helpful and knowledgeable techs here.  When you are counting the first number the second number is also being counted down in the other set of lights at the same time.  If you notice when reading the code and counting the number of flashes for the row of 4 lights the single start light will flash at the same time, (that is a count of 4 plus how many ever more flashes after the row of 4 lights stop).

Take a look at these 4 discussions, others have walked the same path.
http://applianceguru...ic.php?id=18333
http://applianceguru...ic.php?id=15509
http://applianceguru...ic.php?id=18439

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:18 AM

..  I get an E46.  (From the service manual: "E46 Control board problem. Replace the control board.") With four flashes on the row of lights and six on Start light...

FTF2140ES3 Tech Sheets

... and six on Start light...

is that a total of six on the Start Light ?

(including the Start Light flashes during the first four rows of lights)

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#5 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:38 AM

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

..  I get an E46.  (From the service manual: "E46 Control board problem. Replace the control board.") With four flashes on the row of lights and six on Start light...

... and six on Start light...

is that a total of six on the Start Light ?

(including the Start Light flashes during the first four rows of lights)

Yes.  Both flash four times together, then the start light flashes two more times, for a total of six on the Start Light.  So it is an E46.  But that doesn't mean I have to believe the machine?

Tim

But that is not your problem.

I thought not, that is why I kept messing with it.

You have a bad wax motor in the door lock switch. The high speed spin working in diagnostics tells me this is your problem.

I'm off to read the similar the similar posts on this.  I guess these will tell me that it can give me a bad contol board code even if the control board is good.

Back soon,
Tim

#6 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:14 AM

Trying to find the part number for just the wax motor. Can you help? It's not listed.

#7 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:16 AM

Is this it?

WPL 99001807 wax motor
http://www.repaircli...2&PartID=752102

WPL 12002535 Wax motor
http://www.repaircli...&PartID=1063620

from this post
http://applianceguru...ic.php?id=18333

The first one is $21 and the second is $12!   Are they the same?

#8 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:40 AM

So that's the little wax motor sticking right out the top isn't it.

Attached Files

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:44 AM

The second, ($12), one is the one you should use.  It is the best for use in this application since it is the actual wax motor used in the door lock on Maytag front load washers and should have about the same extended on periods that the Frigidaire has since it's used in the same type of application.

And, YES, that is the wax motor that you would need to replace, (the white part in the picture of the latch assembly).

These switch/latch assemblies open up real easy, just be careful to not snap the tabs off when opening it up.

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#10 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:56 AM

Thank you, thank you, so much!

You have saved me much embarrassment, and the client a good deal of money of the whole assembly. Why don't they list it separately as a part?

A donation to the fund will surely follow after the weekend.

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:44 AM

Why don't they list it separately as a part?

Probably because they wouldn't make as much money. 

They know this is a very common failure and if they listed the wax motor in the parts diagram as a separate part they wouldn't sale many of the complete switch assemblies, (I've only seen a coil in one of these switch assemblies fail once and never seen the switch contacts fail, seen more broken from someone forcing the door open when locked).

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

Thank you. This was very helpful. I took many photos, which I may add a write-up to someday. A successful repair, without an added visit.

$20 donation to the fund.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics