Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Dumbstruck by the new computer-controlled appliances? Let the Samurai enlighten you…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
danblum

Sub-Zero 550 freezer

6 posts in this topic

I recently inherited and older Sub-Zero 550 bottom-freezer refrigerator and after a little tinkering and a ton of cleaning, it is working pretty well. The only problem now is that the freezer temperature stays at zero degrees Fahrenheit, regardless of the dial setting of the freezer control. It measures zero degrees on "10" and zero degrees on "1". I am also measuring the current draw and finding that the freezer compressor runs almost continuously (except during defrost cycles). 

The only other unusual circumstance is that I don't have any water hooked up to the ice maker yet. 

Most people would probably be happy with a freezer that stays at zero degrees, but I know it is supposed to be adjustable.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

[user=60886]danblum[/user] wrote:

... that the freezer compressor runs almost continuously (except during defrost cycles)...

may be a sign of a (SZ common) sealed system leak ...

take a look at the frost pattern on the Freezer Evaporator Coils .. post picture ?

Frost pattern appears to be pretty uniform The first picture is the frost pattern on the ice maker side, looking straight up from the floor of the freezer. The second picture is the same coil on the defrost drain side. I see a light frost build up on all the copper u-tubes.

post-60886-129045115289_thumb.jpg

evenly frosted is good, may be a little lightly ...

And the Freezer Compressor runs almost continuously ?

I'm not sure what the problem could be .. maybe someone else ..

SubZero 500 series service manual link PM'd ..

Make sure the thermostat knob is actually turning the thermostat...knob coulb be broken...also make sure your door gaskets aren't leaking.

In your second picture on the left side your defrost heater is melting some plastic....you may want to address that.

Frost pattern looks good. The contacts of the freezer thermostat may be welded together or it's just out of calibration. Not uncommon with the older bourdon tube thermostats.