Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

ehendry

Frigidaire FRS26DR7DS0

40 posts in this topic

I guess that I should have saved my few last pennies leftover from Christmas to fix my fridge.  Yesterday (Christmas Day) I noticed my water dispenser quit working.  A few hours later I notice that my freezer was not very cold and felt more like my fridge.  This led me to check on my fridge side and notice that my milk was barely cold.  So, I am left with a freezer that thinks it is a fridge and a fridge that does not keep things very cold, and an water dispenser that is not dispensing.  I pulled the fridge out and cleaned all the dust bunnies in the front and back of the fridge.  I can see that the fan is working and everything sounds like it normally does, but the darn thing is still broken.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I have not heard to compressor turn on all morning. If it is the compressor is this worth repairing. We are moving in six months and not taking the fridge. I was hoping for a cheap, quick fix! Not looking good, is it?

It could be the Compressor, Start Relay, or Control Board ..

You'd have to do some electrical tests using the diagrams in the above service manual.

[user=61295]ehendry[/user] wrote:

Is there a way to test the compressor?

Behold the scroll.

Well I broke down and had a service technician come and look at the fridge. He said that the compressor is running at .6 amps and should be running at 2. The water not dispensing was a totally separate problem and needed a new valve. The repair would be around $800. He told me that since the fridge is five years old, the repair costs outweigh the value. So, is my fridge really destined for a landfill? What a shame.

Well I broke down and had a service technician come and look at the fridge

On Boxing day ??

Warranty:

Second through fifth years from original purchase date:

Repair or replace any parts in the cabinet liner or Sealed Refrigeration System compressor,

(condenser, evaporator, drier and tubing) which prove to be defective in materials or workmanship.

I am out of warranty by five months. I was thinking, is there a way that my defrost timer or thermostat is causing my compressor to run at half power? I also wondered if the compressor is need to run the water. It just seems too coincidental that the water stopped the same time the fridge did.

.. is there a way that my defrost timer or thermostat is causing my compressor to run at half power?
I also wondered if the compressor is need to run the water...

Defrost Timer is an Electronic Control Board ...

Compressor and Condenser Fan powered together ..

Does the Condenser Fan run OK ?

Water Dispenser is separate Electronic Controller

FRS26DR7DS0 Wiring Diagram

I can see the fan that is behind the back of the fridge running.

$ 800.00 repair?? What was the  tech going to repair??/  Did the tech check the evaporator coils ( frost pattern ) ??  If the compressor was only drawing .6 amps., it is not working very hard, as in, a low to almost no charge of refrigerant....There my not be anything wrong with the comp, just low refrigerant........ Slip the tech $250.00 for an after-hour recharge ( wink, wink )....The leak in most found in the evaporator  coil....$450 to $500 repair, in my neck of the woods....

The tech probably figured in the water problem as well for that quote which would be in line. The problems are not linked together. However Frigidaire recommends if you have a refrigerant leak to change the evaporator and compressor........personally if I were you I would call Frigidaire and tell them you are outraged that your refridgerator was only 5 months out of sealed system warranty and how you have always been a loyal Frigidaire customer. .....you might be surprised....they may repair it for free.....its worth a shot ;)....oh....and you didn't hear that from me :)

A few more fun tidbits. The water dispenser and ice dispenser sound like they are working, there is just no water. If it were something electrical I would think that they would act dead. I also noticed that the bottom half of my fridge and freezer seems to be cooling properly. It is just the top half of the unit that seems to not be very cool. Does this shed any light, because it did not for me! Thanks!

heat rises so its normal for the bottom portions to be cooler than the top. what arethe actual temps of the Fridge and the Freezer. is the fan in the freezer working?

the icemaker probably isnt working because the freezer isnt cold enough....the water issue is probably due to a bad water valve.

you most likely still have a sealed system problem so all this is just prolonging the inevitable.... just post back the temps.

Do you want the temperature of the bottom, top, or middle? The repair man said that the compressor was not putting out enough power to turn on the fan in the freezer.

the compressor has nothing to do with the fan in the freezer...you may have been hit by the jive turkey repairman ! Take temps. in the middle of each side

if you have a Harbor Freight Store near you

may be on sale at the store or in one of their current flyers ..

also 20% OFF coupon good till 1/29/10 

also good on sale items

sometimes on sale... bring print-out to store 

click on picture 96308   $ 12.99 

96308-t.gif

click on picture 95683   $ 19.99

95683-t.gif

(on sale, but doesn't have many "low ranges")

click on picture 95652   $ 19.99

95652-t.gif 

With the settings on "factory settings" the fridge reads 59 and the freezer reads 25.

has the unit been disconnected from power or plugged in the entire time? need to remove the back wall of the freezer.

I disconnected it while I vacuumed out the dust bunnies. Just heard the compressor on for a minute and the temp. in the fridge side said 46. I will go remove the back wall of the freezer.

Back panel removed from freezer. Picture attached and one to follow.

post-61295-129045115357_thumb.jpg

theres nothing wrong with your compressor from this picture, thats not to say its not intermittent...is the fan above these coils running? it should be...may have to trigger door switch.