LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE dishwasher timer stalling

Dano

Dishwasher stalls in the same place, between short wash and dry cycle, no matter where you start the machine. Of course you can manually turn the knob to the next click and it will finish on it's own. I have looked for any kind of t-stat that might cause this, like other machines have but cannot see any.  I replaced the timer twice thinking the first one must be a factory defect but to no avail. I looked at the selector switches and tested each button, why this would have anything to do with my problem, I don't know. Grasping at straws I suppose. I can't think of what else it could be.

I need enlightenment!!!

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GSD3732DOOWW,  Let me look thru some G.E. D/W bulletins, seems like I remember seeing something sort of like you are describing..

• Team Samurai

Dan, I looked for the wiring diagram at Sears.com, nolo contendre, compadre. Could you post the link to where you found it?

Yes, sorry, the ones for G.E. did not list this pproblem...I forgot all about telling you...:?

I apologize, I did not actually see a real schematic. I looked at the entire parts list and each diagram of each section of the machine, looking for any electrical component I could not detect visually. I have searched a lot on the web for any bits of wisdom, bulletin, schematic, all of the free repair sites. Not that I'm cheap, but I won't let this machine to whip my ass. I cannot fathom how a switch on the control panel can stall the timer when the timer is receiving constant power during the stall. You can actually hear the timer clicking occansionally like it's trying to advance but never moves. This is the third timer to stall in the same position. What can I do next?

Dano

• Team Samurai

Contact GE (if it's your dishwasher) or, if it's a customer dishwasher, have them contact GE and order a replacement wiring diagram for this dishwasher. Gotta have it. Without it, we're flying blind. They'll charge 9 or 11 bucks-- expensive for what it is but still cheap in overall scheme of things.

• 2 months later...

Well, today I think I found the answer to Dano's problem -- He doesn't have a problem, the timer is operating as it is designed to do.......that's way after replace the timer 3 times it still is doing the same thing.

How I found this, just picked up a used Kenmore 363.14773100 dishwasher a few days ago and was checking it all out tonight. Everything seemed to be working ok then timer got to mid point between short wash and dry and stopped moving, could still hear timer motor and escapement clicking as if it was moving the timer but dial didn't seem to want to turn until I advanced it one click just as Dano did.

Took timer out and hooked to cheater cord and let it run for the 100min. that the cycle chart says is a full cycle and sure enough it finished in the aloted amount of time.

With the one long, (almost 30min. pause at the mid way point), and another long pause in the dry section, (also about 30min).

This timer also has an up to 6 hour delay start. After looking over timer and seeing where the pauses where occuring I figured out what is going on -- And it is not a problem, it is the way the timer was designed to operate.

There are four spot on the timer cam where these delays occur, (this includes the long spot for the delay start-up to 6 hours). The other three stall spots: 1) very start, prewash, 2) in mid wash where Dano and I noticed this, 3) in dry cycle.

The timer motor will advance the cam one notch about every minute, the area for the delay start is only 12 cam notches, (which will give upto a 6 hour delay), and the dry cycle is only 3 cam notches, (and the cycle time for dry is 32 minutes).

What causes these delays is the cam notches that the escapement lever pushes to advance the cam have one half of the cam tooth area, (top half), cut out in the area where the stall is to occur.

There is a secondary cam that has 2 one notch cutouts at 90degrees to each other that is on top of the main cam. When the escapement comes to the area of the main cam with the cutouts the escapement can no longer turn the main cam and starts advancing the secondary cam and needs to turn this secondary cam all the way around until it comes to one of the cutouts in the secondary cam which then lets the escapement drop down deeper to catch the lower uncutout spot on the main cam to again start advancing the main cam one notch every minute. The secondary cam will advance at one notch per minute, so about every 30 minutes the main timer cam will advance one notch when it is in one of these pause spots, that is how the dry area that is only 3 notches on the main cam will go for 32 minutes, (one of the notches in the dry cycle is a 30 minute timer pause).

The spots where the pauses occur are marked on the timer chart but nowhere on the diagram/chart does it explain what is happening at these spots, that they are pauses or anything of that nature.

Unfortunitly, Dano will problably never see this since these 3 post in this thread are the only thing Dano has ever posted in here and this problem was from over 2 months ago.

Hopefully this will save someone else from replacing a timer that is prefectly fine.

Just found this....sorry ..........for the delay....could not find it before...

[align=left]Service Bulletin[/align]

[align=left]DISHWASHERS DD 10-02[/align]

[align=left]ALL MODELS WITH[/align]

[align=left]DELAY START TIMERS[/align]

[align=left]TIMER STALLS IN HOTSTART™,[/align]

[align=left]MAIN WASH OR DRY[/align]

[align=left]MAY 2002[/align]

[align=left]The delay start timer is actually a timer within a[/align]

[align=left]timer. During parts of the dishwasher cycle, the[/align]

[align=left]timer knob will index (or advance) once every[/align]

[align=left]minute. During other parts of the cycle, the timer[/align]

[align=left]knob will index at 29-minute intervals.[/align]

[align=left]During Delay Start, the timer knob indexes in[/align]

[align=left]29-minute intervals.[/align]

[align=left]During HotStart, Main Wash and Dry, the timer knob[/align]

[align=left]will index several times at one-minute intervals, then[/align]

[align=left]index once in 29 minutes and then index again at[/align]

[align=left]one-minute intervals. [/align]

[align=left]Some customers notice that the timer knob does not[/align]

[align=left]advance for a period of time during HotStart, Main[/align]

[align=left]Wash or Dry and call for service.[/align]

[align=left]When responding to a service call pertaining to[/align]

[align=left]a “timer stall,” verify that a problem exists before[/align]

[align=left]replacing the timer. Many unnecessary timer[/align]

[align=left]replacements are being made. Make certain the[/align]

[align=left]customer is not reporting the normal timer delays.[/align]

[align=left]A typical timer chart is printed on the back of this[/align]

[align=left]bulletin for reference.[/align]

[align=left]N.D. 369-17[/align]

[align=left]GE Appliances[/align]

[align=left]General Electric Company[/align]

[align=left]Appliance Park, Louisville, KY 40225[/align]

[align=left]Service Bulletin[/align]

[align=left]DISHWASHERS DD 10-02[/align]

[align=left]ALL MODELS WITH[/align]

[align=left]DELAY START TIMERS[/align]

[align=left]TIMER STALLS IN HOTSTART™,[/align]

[align=left]MAIN WASH OR DRY[/align]

[align=left]MAY 2002[/align]

[align=left]The delay start timer is actually a timer within a[/align]

[align=left]timer. During parts of the dishwasher cycle, the[/align]

[align=left]timer knob will index (or advance) once every[/align]

[align=left]minute. During other parts of the cycle, the timer[/align]

[align=left]knob will index at 29-minute intervals.[/align]

[align=left]During Delay Start, the timer knob indexes in[/align]

[align=left]29-minute intervals.[/align]

[align=left]During HotStart, Main Wash and Dry, the timer knob[/align]

[align=left]will index several times at one-minute intervals, then[/align]

[align=left]index once in 29 minutes and then index again at[/align]

[align=left]one-minute intervals.[/align]

[align=left]This bulletin is an update of Service Bulletin DD 05-96[/align]

[align=left]Main Wash 29-Minute Delay[/align]

[align=left]HotStart 29-Minute Delay[/align]

• Team Samurai

Great information, Willie and Pegi! Thanks! Dano most likely will see this so the information is still relevant to the original post.

Good description, the only problem: That "Typical Timer Chart" isn't so typical of the timer chart with the actual machine -- If it where marked like in this service sheet there would be no question about what was going on.

Where in this "Typical Timer Chart" that is supplied with the service bulletin it is marked with "Det Trip","Rinse And Trip","Delay(29min)" none of that wording is anywhere on the service sheet/wiring diagram. The little black marks for the delay are on the chart but it doesn't say anything about what they are.

Archived