Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Medallion Washer not agitating, but aggrevating

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wannbeappliantologist

wannbeappliantologist

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 11:53 AM

Greetings Sensei,

My GE Medallion washer (Model# GW990KW118 Ser# ME598690) is giving me strife in an other wise balanced existance.  I just recently inhearited this washer for free, so I can not complain too much.

It will fill and I hear the motor running.  When I bypass the lid switch (pressing down on it), all that is happening is water flows out of the return and through the filter on top of the agitator.  It continues through the cycle, drains, spins, fills and rinses on all wash cyles but no agitation.

Would you be able to enlighten me on what the cause might be and solution to this enigma?

My humble thanks.

:notworthy:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:17 PM

Cannot get thet model number to come up anywhere, but I would look at a broken agitator or air dome under the agitator if it has one, cannot tell since cannot get a visual of what is in there.  Is this a USA washer???
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 wannbeappliantologist

wannbeappliantologist

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:55 PM

It is Canadian. I tried to look up the manual on GE's site and that number was not valid there.

I am including some pictures so maybe you might have a better idea of what machine it is.

Attached Files

#4 wannbeappliantologist

wannbeappliantologist

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

here is another

Attached Files

#5 wannbeappliantologist

wannbeappliantologist

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:03 PM

and another

Attached Files

#6 wannbeappliantologist

wannbeappliantologist

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

and lastly

Attached Files

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:27 PM

Thanks just a regular G.E. washer..Either the teeth are worn off of the agitator shaft or the agitator coupler is worn,  See if the teeth on the agitator shaft are ok.  If so look up into the agitator from the bottom with a flashlight to see if the teeth are worn on the agitator coupler.  It will be silver inside with a black rubber outside that the agitator sets on that also has grooves to attach to the outside rubber of the coupler.  If the coupler inside of the agitator is worn, you will just knock this out from the top after cutting the top of the agitator and replace this. WH1X1944....let us know what you see on all of these parts. 

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:31 PM

This is what the coupler looks like that goes inside of the agitator. Now if the splines/teeth are worn on the agitator shaft itself in the washer you are looking to replace the transmission. The inside of the coupler should match the teeth on the tranny shaft. Let us hope you find the teeth inside of the coupler are worn smoothe......Use your flashlight to look up inside of there from the base of the agitator.

#9 wannbeappliantologist

wannbeappliantologist

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:31 PM

There is nothing up inside the agitator.  By the looks of that picture, the coupler is stuck on the shaft (see the pictures of the shaft I sent).  It had a LOT of black crumbly residue on the top of it.  I squeezed the black part just below the top of the shaft and it hissed like there was air trapped inside.

End result is that I can not get what I think is the coupler off of the shaft to inspect the splines.  ANy suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics