Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dryer: Fix it or Scrap it

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mako

Mako

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 12:53 PM

I've got a Montgomery Ward FFT-7308-80A electric dryer that I bought used about 4 yrs ago for $100 (I paid $50, roommate paid $50). The serial # starts with an 88 and there is a 10-88 printed below the serial #, which leads me to believe that it was made in October 1988. Well, it's developed a few problems over the years but the newest one isn't so easily remedied.

1. The dryer has slowly taken longer to dry clothes and finally stopped producing any heat at all. Upon inspection, there are 2 yellow wires and a black wire going to the heating element. The yellow wires are corroded and burnt. I haven't tested the element itself, as I don't have a multimeter (been meaning to get one for ages...). I assume that the burnt wires are a result of the problem and not the source, but I don't know for sure.

2. The drum motor is unable to get the drum rolling initially. Turning the drum manually is enough to get it going though.

3. The Timer knob is broken so I have to use a pair of pliers instead.

Any guesses on what it would take to repair it ($)? Would it just be better to scrap it and buy a new one?

Thanks,
Mako

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:52 PM

The motor issue would point me toward replacing the machine. The motor would cost some real money, and installing it is some work. Plus it's old and you still need to solve and repair the heating problem.

I made the same call on my dryer this week. A 20 year old westinghouse dryer needed a new motor. I could have fixed it, but why put money into something that old? Plus my new one is much bigger and matches the capacity of my washer.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 Mako

Mako

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Nick.

Well, I guess it's time to do some dryer shopping...

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:42 PM

Look for a nice simple Whirlpool with the lint filter on the top.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Mako

Mako

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:46 PM

ok, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics