Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Washer Series 90, 110.20912990

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pato

Pato

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

First noticed a problem when machine was stopped mid-cycle. Using the dial control,was able to get the machine to run for 4-5 seconds and then it would stop. After removing the clothes from the full drum and cyphoning out the water, we were able to drain the rest of the water when we set the cycle to spin. At this point it would run more than 4-5 seconds, long enough to drain the remaining water. When we tried to start a new load, the agitator started as soon as the water started to fill. In playing with the dial to see if it had slipped, I learned that the machine is now filling even while it is supposed to be spinning.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pato

Pato

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:03 PM

Sorry, forgot to say thanks for any help or direction someone might give. Pato

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:37 PM

Is a puzzle, almost sounds like your timer is mal-functioning......however, remember you do have spray rinse in spin so that might be normal...but should not be agitating while filling.  This could be a defective fill level switch but would be a first time I have seen one do this.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:27 AM

The symptoms are consistent with several common problems with these washers, so you'll have to approach it systematically and isolate problems and components. For example, in this problem phase:

In playing with the dial to see if it had slipped, I learned that the machine is now filling even while it is supposed to be spinning.

You'll need to see if the valve are actually getting voltage during this time using your meter. If not, then the valve have failed mechanically and you have identified them as a problem. If so, then the timer and pressure switch are suspects.

For this problem phase:

First noticed a problem when machine was stopped mid-cycle. Using the dial control,was able to get the machine to run for 4-5 seconds and then it would stop

You'll again need to use your meter and see if the motor is getting voltage. If it is, then the motor is bad. If no, then you have confirmed a bad timer.

#5 Pato

Pato

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:01 AM

Hi Pegi-
Thanks very much for the reply.

I have checked the fill level switch with an ohmmeter and it behaves as described in the Whirlpool do-it-yourself direct drive repair manual. I then checked the timer motor and it appears ok also. Now I'm going to test the timer BUT in trying to get the timer knob off I pulled the timer knob stem out about 1/2", before remembering it is screwed on. Is all lost for the timer? Is it possible to simple push the stem back in or do I take the timer apart and try to see how to get the stem back in place? Is there a trick to reseating the stem?

Thanks for your help,
Pato

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:46 AM

OOps, this sounds bad......you might try that, the shaft is attached to the cam inside and there is a keeper for the shaft.  You might as well try since you will have to replace the timer if you cannot fix this.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 Pato

Pato

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 07:02 AM

Hi Pegi (& The Samurai),

Have tapped the stem back-in, appears ok as far as that goes.
Will test timer best I can using Samurai's direction and the book. Any more direction would certainly be welcome.
Thanks, Pato

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:19 AM

You have a bad timer. You'll need to replace it right off before we can tell if there are any other problems:

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=3953248

#9 Pato

Pato

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:24 AM

Hi Pegi & The Samurai,

Thanks for the help...a new timer fixed the problem(s).

I have a little story you might get a kick out of.
Several years ago the gas dryer burner would kick on for (I forget) probably a minute or so, and then shut down. (We had triplet babies and could not afford to have the dryer start acting-up.) It was at the beginning of the fall season in Chicago.
I found a dried crab apple jammed (by a squirrel going into his winter mode) into the outside exhaust hood between the sloped roof of the vent and the flapper door. So, the dryer shut its self down because the heat was building-up/backing-up.

Thanks again for the help,
Regards, Pato

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:43 AM

Good story... and surprisingly not uncommon. Congrats on your washer repair! :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics