Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore m/n 110.66901691

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrfixbigairconditioners

mrfixbigairconditioners

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:14 AM

My dryer failed this AM. When I push the go button it hums loudly while I hold the button, the drum doesn't turn and it stops humming when I let go of the button. After trying it a bunch of times the motor stooped humming when go button was pushed, inside light still had power. After letting it sit awhile, the same humming came back when I push the go button.

I'm guessing the motor is locked up and has some thermal protector that opened when I kept trying to start it.

I started taking the thing apart, I have worked on it before and eventually figured it out, but I can't figure out today how to access the electrical components inside the triangular shaped panel / console at the top rear of the dryer to do some testing. I took out the sheetmetal screws from the back of the panel attaching the panel to the dryer, I removed two screws from the rear top corners of the panel that were attaching some kind of plastic hinge looking things to the panel, I wrestled the top of the dryer off with the whole panel still attached to the top (without breaking anything yet).

My questions are:

What screws or clips am I missing to get the top electrical panel open?

Do you guys think the symptoms indicate a motor that won't turn and what would be by next step if that's the case?

What's my next step if you don't agree with my guess?

The dryer has been putting brown marks on our light clothes. I retired my last dryer when it was 10 years old because I had replaced the roller guides/bearings once already and it started marking up the clothes like this one now is. This dryer is now ten years old and I have done one repair on the roller guides/bearings. My guess is I'm looking at a motor, new felt gaskets/adhesive and the guides (which I think I should do while I have the drum out) and the 2 to 4 hours to complete the repair, does that sound about right? I'm considering deep sixing it.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,373 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:42 AM

Illustrated dryer disassmbly help here:

http://fixitnow.com/...disassembly.htm

Use the instructions for the Sears Kenmore, Whirlpool, Roper, Kitchen Aid, Estate dryer with the lint filter in the door.

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:44 AM

I would replace this dryer with a nice Whirlpool dryer with the lint filter in the top, the normal W/P dryer.  Or Estate, Roper, Kitchenaid, same dryer.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 mrfixbigairconditioners

mrfixbigairconditioners

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:03 AM

Thank you!

Now it's off to shop for a dryer on the day of rest!

#5 mrfixbigairconditioners

mrfixbigairconditioners

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:05 AM

went to one whirlpool dealer and they had a sale going on, but one hitch. The dryers they had in stock were 29" wide, instead of the 27" my current Kenmore/Whirlpool. The vent looks like it's centered, so my existing vent would be 1" off where it comes directly out of a hole in the floor and elbows (sheetmetal rigid elbox) into the back of the dryer.

Does whirlpool make a dryer that's 27" wide like my old Kenmore, which has the drop down loading door?

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:06 AM

Not to my knowledge, the normal dryers are 29" wide.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics