Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

No cold water fill

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 warmfill

warmfill

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:40 AM

After sitting idle for about two months, this Maytag washer purchased in 2000 fills with warm or hot but not cold water.     -no matter whether white, color or delicate cycle is chosen   -even if "automatic temperature control" button is not depressedSound familiar? Please suggest a fix.  [During the rinse cycle, either cold or warm water can be dispensed. All connectors behind control panel seem to be firmly seated, but none where disconnected and closely inspected. Removal of power plug for a few minutes had no effect.]

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 warmfill

warmfill

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:45 AM

ps.  The model number for the Maytag washer is MAV6000AWW.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,835 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:51 AM

Measure the voltage at the cold water side of the valve with the washer should be filling with cold water. If you get 120v, then replace the valve. No voltage, troubleshoot upstream to the temp selector switch and beyond, if needed.

#4 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:12 PM

Suggest you check out one of our past threads....

http://applianceguru...ighlight=maytag

There have been issues with the automatic temperature board on these.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#5 warmfill

warmfill

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:22 PM

The voltage to the cold side solenoid was about 120 V when cold water was selected during the fill or rinse cycles. And consistent with the original observations, the hot water solenoid was activated during the fill but not the rinse cycle. The original observations and voltage measurements suggest that the water valve is okay.  But, I'll definitely need your help to unravel the upstream components.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,835 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:30 PM

[user=3039]warmfill[/user] wrote:

The voltage to the cold side solenoid was about 120 V when cold water was selected during the fill or rinse cycles.

And was cold water actually flowing into the washer concurrently with this observation?

#7 warmfill

warmfill

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:31 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the automatic temperature control board is the culprit except for the fact that pressing the 'cancel' button presumably to bypass the temp control board did not prevent simultaneous activation of the cold and hot water solenoid valves to yield warm water delivery - when only cold was selected during a fill cycle.  Got any ideas? 

#8 warmfill

warmfill

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:39 PM

No.  The voltage measurement was made across the disconnected cold water solenoid connector (blue & brown wires).  I assumed that the solenoid would have activated because the coil gave a good ohm measurement and because it could be activated to deliver cold water during the rinse fill cycle. 

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,835 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:06 AM

Definitely read the thread that the Mad One linked you to-- it has lots of good troubleshooting help on this ezzzact problem.

#10 warmfill

warmfill

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:42 AM

End of Problem:  Today, we received a replacement automatic temperature control board from the RepairClinic and in short order it was swapped with the old board.  Now, when you select cold fill,  cold water is dispensed.  As before, the cold water rinse works properly.  Everything seems to work as expected.In hindsight, the connection between our problem and the one experienced by Jon in the thread - http://applianceguru.com/view_topic.php?id=1695&forum_id=2&highlight=maytag - is still unclear to me.  But, what the heck, in both instances the control board was at fault.Many thanks from Princeton, NJ. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics