Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Washer Drive Belt Replacement Question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zumbini

zumbini

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:46 PM

My 3-4 year old GE washing machine (model# WDSS4120AWW) stopped working the other day. I could feel and hear the motor running but there was no spin, agitate or pump activity. I'm a fairly handy DIY homeowner so I removed the front decor panels to confirm what I figured was a drive belt problem. Sure enough the belt was toast.

I managed to locate a replacement belt locally but installing it has been another matter entirely. The large basket pulley is wide open, however, the small drive pulley is located on the motor shaft between the motor and the pump. It was obvious that the pump would have to come off in order to install the new belt. So I removed the motor assembly from the washer and then backed out the 3 screws that mount the pump "tripod" to the motor bracket. That left the pump free of the bracket, however, it was still firmly attached to the motor shaft. 

The pump housing is plastic and it appears to be relatively fragile so I'm afraid to use much force. How do I remove the pump from the shaft without damaging them? Do I have to disassemble the pump to get to a set screw? If so how do I insure that the pump is water-tight when reassembled?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:21 PM

Just when you thought it couldn't get any more bizarre...yesterday, we had a GE stack unit which is, in reality, a Whirlpool "Thin Twin". Today, we have a GE washer which is, in reality, an Amana. The pump is held on by three "Torx" screws. Some time ago, our illustrious leader linked to this handy guide to Amana washers.

Also bear in mind that on these machines, you MUST use ONLY the factory replacement belt. Use anything else, you'll be replacing it again soon.

converted url to hypertext for clarity -- Samurai
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 02:25 PM

Ah...sorry, didn't quite read all you wrote. The pump may have been slowly leaking, and rusted on to the motor shaft. In many cases, the only answer to this problem is, regrettably, the hammer and chisel.

#4 zumbini

zumbini

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for your quick reply Mad Mac. Knowing that it was only a friction fit I got a second pry bar, put a little more back into it and off it came! With the pump out of the way the belt install was a breeze and reassembly was without incidence.

I'm running a test load now but it looks like it's back to normal. Many thanks for your assistance!

I'm qurious though. The pictures of the Amana Speed Queen guts shown on the diagnostic chart you provided a link to definitely match what I have in my GE washer. How did you know that from the little info I provided and will that fact have any consequences for future service calls?

Thanks again!

#5 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 05:41 PM

Basically, when I entered your model number into Sears.com, it came up with parts drawings that looked like an Amana. As for future service, Amana is not a machine that is regularly seen in some parts of the country - out here in CA, the Hispanic people seemed to go for them more than anyone else(large capacity for large family?), but many of the techs who contribute here may never have seen one. I'd never seen a GE-badged Amana until now. As such, a tech who comes out to your GE may get completely thrown by your machine.

This provides an ideal opportunity to highlight something we often discuss on here, that being the cost of GE parts.
Your pump has a GE part number of WH23X10014. Entering this number at RepairClinic.com brings up a price of $48.85. A search for an Amana pump brings up exactly the same item, albeit under a different stock number, at $38.95. For your extra $9.90, you may get a rather fetching plastic bag with "GE Genuine Appliance Part" on it. Worth it? You decide.

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:19 AM

Did you purchase the new belt from a local appliance store or did you go to auto parts store and have them match up a belt to your old one?

If the later, (from an autoparts store), your going to have water coming over the top of the tub when it goes into spin.

These machines use a special cloth coated belt to allow the belt to slip until all water is out of tub before coming up to full spin speed.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 zumbini

zumbini

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 03:47 AM

Thanks again for the info Mad Mac. I'll keep that in mind.

As for parts cost issues, there seems to be a wide range for "genuine" GE parts depending on the distributor. I actually purchased 2 replacement belts for this project. I got the 1st from Sears Appliance Repair via phone. They charged me $52.53 which included shipping and taxes. I picked up the 2nd belt from a local appliance store which charged me $16.25. See below for more info

[user=36]Budget Appliance Repair[/user] wrote:

Did you purchase the new belt from a local appliance store or did you go to auto parts store and have them match up a belt to your old one?

I purchased both belts from appliance distributors and both came in blue & white "Genuine GE" bags. Besides the huge difference in price (see above) they were also different parts numbers. The Sears-bought part was ID'd as WHO1X10159. The other belt was WH1X2026. They appear to be the same length, width and profile but from different manufacurers.

I installed the cheaper belt (WH1X2026) as I intend to return the over-priced part to Sears. Did I make the right choice?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,842 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:12 AM

[user=3043]zumbini[/user] wrote:

I purchased both belts from appliance distributors and both came in blue & white "Genuine GE" bags. ...

I installed the cheaper belt (WH1X2026) as I intend to return the over-priced part to Sears. Did I make the right choice?

Nyet, comrade. The correct choice would have been to purchase the belt here because it helps to support this colossus of free appliance repair help.

#9 zumbini

zumbini

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:51 PM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

[user=3043]zumbini[/user] wrote:

I purchased both belts from appliance distributors and both came in blue & white "Genuine GE" bags. ...

I installed the cheaper belt (WH1X2026) as I intend to return the over-priced part to Sears. Did I make the right choice?

Nyet, comrade. The correct choice would have been to purchase the belt here because it helps to support this colossus of free appliance repair help.

Right you are, however, I didn't find this wonderful forum until after I had purchased both belts and ran into problems with the installation. Next time I'll know better......

Back to my original question. Is there a difference between WH1X2026 and WHO1X10159 other than price?

#10 zumbini

zumbini

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:59 PM

I looked up the two replacement belts I purchased using RepairClinic's search function and found the same price discrepancy - $10.00 for WH1X2026 versus $37.25 for WH01X10159. There's not much to go on in the parts description fields. Can anybody tell me what the difference is?

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:19 AM

The WH1X2026 G.E. belt is not the correct choice, this belt is not designed for the slipping belt clutch action.

The Wh1X2026 belt is also 3/4" shorter.

Here's how to get the correct belt for a good price, order the Amana part# that is the same belt,

AMANA Part# 27001007 CLICK HERE to order
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,842 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:05 AM

Good catch, Willie! ;)

#13 zumbini

zumbini

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the info Willie. I wrote down the Amana part number in the owners manual so I have it for the next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics