Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn Circuit Fu, the ancient lost art of appliance repair…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
battlepoint

Amana LW4303W washer leaks oil onto clothes, Fixable?

4 posts in this topic

I have an Amana LW4304W washing machine with stainless basket which just started leaking greas/oil onto clothes.  I assume the seals have failed and I now have water in the transmission and thus oil on my clothes.  Yes its oil.  I have it disassembled down to the hex nut and decided to ask to a little help.  Should I install a new seal kit ($50-$60).  Is the transmission damaged beyond repair by the water intrusion.  Is it possible and worth while to reassemble the transmission with new oil and seals.  My breakpoint is about $100 at which point I will buy something used to replace it.  I have read the thread titled "Amana Tub Seal Replacement "

Thanks Mike

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Everything is fixable, it's just a matter of which battles you choose to fight. If it were me, I'd cut my losses on this pig and go get a front loader.

If I fill the rubber seal with silicon and then put it over the hex nut do you think I can keep the oil in the transmission and water out of the transmission for a couple of months until the transmissin seizes.  I will clean everything with degreaser before applying silicon.  What do you think?

If think, if you're lucky, you may get one or two loads out of it before it starts oozing again.