Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

GE ice dispenser

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_irodetheshortbuss_*

Lurker_irodetheshortbuss_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:02 AM

Please help me with this problem. I have a GE fridge, model number GSS22JEMDWW.

It is a side by side. It makes ice, it crushes ice, it despenses water. The problem I am having is the flap that lets the ice out isn't letting it out. Please anty help you could give would be woderfull. I have the door open the ice dispenser out of the door. I do not know how to disconect it though. I can't see how.

Thank you in advance for any consideration

Bussdude

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:16 AM

The force is telling me your freezer door is frozen inside.   To confirm this open the freezer door.  Squeeze the thin parts of the door liner on the top and two side.  Do you hear ice crackling?  I'm going to guess your fridge 2 to 3 years old.

Your chute door solenoid is rusty from being sweat on and that's why it's not opening properly and probably not closing properly either.  That's why your ice chute gets frosty.  Look for little rust stains or drip stains on the recess on the freezer door where you put your glass to get ice and water.

You need to call GE.  The person on the phone is going to make you agree to pay the service call or they won't schedule your service call.  If you are lucky the tech will show up and do the right thing and order you new thicker doors at no charge.    

There is a moisture kit that works a percentage of the time that the techs are instructed to "try" first.   He might say "bad heater".  That means the 2 watt heater they put in to get good energy ratings is insufficient and needs to be replaced with a ten watt recess heater.  It really doesn't help the poor insulation problem.  It just helps to overcome it by stopping the sweating.

Now I've taken the time to give you this information its taken me years to acquire.  Please be sure and keep us posted on what's goes on with GE so I'll know what to tell the next person who ask.

#3 Lurker_irodetheshortbuss_*

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:43 AM

first of all, thank you very much for your consideration.  I am a amature appliance repair person and I can handle most repairs myself with a little time and effort. I am stumped. I turned it on, and over night it made ice. But the flap would not open. I did look from outside no rust is there however from the inside of the maker lookin out the dispenser chute was some rust on what looks like the flap's hinge inside. I oiled it and gonna give it a shot in a bit but failing as I am sure it will can I replace just that selinoid or do I have to buy the hole assembly. Calling a repair service is not possable. Cannot afford it.

Bussdude

#4 Lurker_irodetheshortbuss_*

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:36 AM

Also may I ask if there is a exploded view I could look at for this model that may help me see how to get into the selinoid.

Thank you

Bussdude

#5 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 01:05 PM

Dear Mr Amature Appliance Repair Person.

Your White, twenty two cubic foot, 2001 model, GE fridge has a known defect.  I tried to tell you how to go about getting it fixed for good and possibly for free.

Here is the http://www.partselect.com/Schematics/GE/00113124i04.gif you asked for.  This is your chute door solenoid.  Be sure and at least check it before you order a new one.  Plan on replacing it about every year and a half.

I have seen several times where the sweating on the electronics has taken out the dispenser board.   

When the dispenser boards have shorted out they have held the fill solenoids open until they've burned out too.  Of course there was a little water on the floor.

#6 Lurker_irodetheshortbuss@yahoo.com_*

Lurker_irodetheshortbuss@yahoo.com_*

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:34 AM

Dear wise and all knowing

I humbly respond as you asked.

I could not afford to pay for a service call as I stated to you before. I contacted the local GE dealer and I was told they would have to charge me a service call. (as you said they would). That truly was not an option. So what I did was contact G.E. via there 800 number. I explained the problem I was having and used what I learned from your earlier response to me. I explained the defect just as you had explained it to me. They immediately scheduled an service call for the next day free of charge. G.E. is not only replacing the ice door component's, they are also bringing me brand new properly insulated doors.

Thank you again and I am sure I will be back.

I humbly bow in your presence

Armature appliance dude

Buss dude

#7 Sparkland

Sparkland

IkkĊ-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:28 AM

Wow, I think we all owe "Jedi Appliance Guy" a standing ovation. That is amazing. Congratulations on getting this problem fixed. Good work:bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

#8 Lurker_gsauer@cfl.rr.com_*

Lurker_gsauer@cfl.rr.com_*

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:01 PM

:):):):):) Was just tapping into your good advise. I have same problem with GE Fridge. Was getting ready to order new solenoid (rusted open). Your heads up  on the possibility of a bad dispenser board and on the heater and insulation issues, as well as how to handle the repair give me ample reason to alter my initial path.  Thank you,:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:(cause I am from FL) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics