Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Waytag top loader making clickety/metalic sound

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lightning1901

lightning1901

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:40 PM

my 4 year old top maytag top loader is making a metalic clickety sound, sound changes as the machine goes through cycles, every once in awhile the noise will stop, but then it comes back just as loud,checked underneath, replaced belt while i was there, moved everything by hand and i could not duplicate the sound, what could it be?, i thought about removing the drum to see if something was in that part, but i dont have the first clue how to remove the inner drum, any help would be appreciated

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 lightning1901

lightning1901

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:07 PM

the sound speed changes as it goes to spin cycle, and the noise is alot faster than the speed the agitator is moving at

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 12:21 AM

Can't help you without a model#, there are many different styles of machines under that Maytag name tag nowdays.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 lightning1901

lightning1901

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:56 AM

sorry, my bad,

its an admiral model # lnc 6766a00

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:31 AM

Ok, this is the FAKE MAYTAG, (Admiral/Norge design).

Without hearing your noise I would be totally guessing. I just worked on one of these with the same kind of complaint a couple of days ago.

My customer described the noise as like a belt buckle scraping against the tub. Are you only getting the noise when the machine is agitating? If so, than the most likely problem is the brake slipping.

To determine if this is the problem, take the front panel off.
Using a putty knife release the clips, (about 2" in from each side), that hold the top down, raise the top and remove the two 5/16" screws holding the front panel on.

Now, with a full load of cloths in the machine and set on largest load setting water level let the machine fill up and start agitating. Watch the transmission and see if it stays locked in one spot or if it is turning a little each time the agitator moves back and forth.

If the transmission is moving then try to hold it in place and if the noise stops this will be the same problem and you can post back here and I can tell you what to do to fix it.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 lightning1901

lightning1901

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:39 AM

how can it be a "fake maytag" when EVERY part on it, except for the blue selector display, says "MAYTAG"? anyway
the noise sounds like it is coming from underneath the transmition where the belt pully assemply is, im going to flip it over and remove the pully and see whats there,

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,202 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:13 AM

[user=3070]lightning1901[/user] wrote:

how can it be a "fake maytag" when EVERY part on it, except for the blue selector display, says "MAYTAG"?

That's what we professional appliantologists call these sub-brands that were acquired by Maytag, took on the name, but kept the same old, cheesy design. So, while it's masquerading with a Maytag name on it, and Maytag distributes the parts for it, it's still just a shitty Admiral.

#8 jch

jch

Ikkō-ikki

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:01 PM

my 4 year old top maytag top loader is making a metalic clickety sound, sound changes as the machine goes through cycles, every once in awhile the noise will stop, but then it comes back just as loud,checked underneath, replaced belt while i was there, moved everything by hand and i could not duplicate the sound, what could it be?, i thought about removing the drum to see if something was in that part, but i dont have the first clue how to remove the inner drum, any help would be appreciated

I just fixed a problem like this.

Turns out that two (of the four) mounting nuts had fallen off the motor (the bolts that hold the motor to its positioning bracket) because they were rusty.

The motor was therefore hanging down from its mounting bracket on an angle and the brake actuator was getting hit constantly -- what a racket.

Replaced all four nuts with stainless steel/nylon keeper nuts.  Fixed the problem.

Perhaps a similar thing is going on with your machine??

HTH,

.../j

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:23 AM

anyway
the noise sounds like it is coming from underneath the transmition where the belt pully assemply is, im going to flip it over and remove the pully and see whats there,

Well, if you don't know how the system operates you're not going to see anything wrong, this is a part of the trade that us techs get paid the bucks for and we're trying to impart that knowledge to you mere "Grasshoppers".

Did you do as I instructed and remove the front panel and see if the transmission was moving a little each time the agitator moved back and forth?

Your clue as to the noise coming from the bottom around the pulleys is telling me you do have a slipping brake, now if you could just confirm that we can continue......

If you do as instructed and answer with your findings you can be guided as how to quickly fixed this offending machine.

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics