Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

chucki-san

Whirlpool LGR8648 Gas Dryer - Heat goes off after a few minutes

4 posts in this topic

Greetings Appliance Masters!

I have an odd problem here...  My Whirlpool Model LGR8648LW8 Gas Dryer will heat up and seem to be running fine - for about 10 minutes or so.  After lulling me  into a false sense of confidence, the gas burner fails to re-ignite.  I can see the igniter glowing, but no gas flows, and (of course) no more heat.  The igniter will continue to cycle on and off at about 1 minute intervals, but the gas never turns back on.

More Info:  I've checked resistance of the thermostat heater - looks good at about 7.5 Kohms

the thermal cutouts are all staying closed during operation - no voltage drop across them while running.

Next steps?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

chucki-san

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You need to replace the coils on the top of the gas valve, they have gotten weak.....

Pegi:

A thousand blessings upon you.

I didn't think of a 'weak' part, I was looking for a hard failure... poor logic on my part.

I'll order up a pair now.

chicki-san

LOL, we should be so lucky to find simply dead parts, noooooo, half of the time it is sneaky weak parts or ones that work when they want to.....or if this does not solve the problem replace part B, if the problem stll persists, replace part C......with these dryers usually if it will ignite when the dryer is cold but not re-light when it is hot it goes back to weak coils not re-opening the gas valve ;)