Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Gallery Front Load Washer and Dryer questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnl36

johnl36

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:34 AM

Dryer Model # FSE747GES0, Front Load

Dryer is taking more than one cycle, usually 2 cycles at 70 minutes/cycle to dry.  I have been told that there are 2 elements in this unit and that one may be blown...of course, I haven't cleaned out the lint in the hoses latelly nor vacuumed out the lint around the filter slot which would probably help.  Soem additional info - I have the dryer rigged so that the exhaust goes down into the basemnet before making a 12 foot run through the cellar window (is that too far of a run?).  Now the dryer seems to be automatically shutting off before the cycle is complete.

Washer Model #FWT445GES1

Washer won't run unless door is pressed close.  Its not autolocking the door....

Please advise...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:26 AM

Dryer - long dry time generally indicates a venting issue. Try a load with the vent disconnected to see if it makes a difference.

Washer - check your door catch. does it look like this?

Posted Image

Also remove it from the door, these can crack across the middle and not be obvious.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 johnl36

johnl36

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 09:48 AM

Dryer - I disconnected the hose and it seems to be drying better.  Does this mean that the lint within the machine is slowing down the exhaust air?

Washer - the Picture of the catch is similar except the orientation (your pic is upside down compared to how mine is mounted on the door.  The upper arm (as your pic presents it) appears to be thicker than mine.  Mine is slimmer and (what you cant see) is the L - shape the part has on its tip that I think is the operative part of the lock.  The L on mine shows no cracks, no obvious signs of wear and is solid (there is no crack where it mounts to the door and it feels rock solid).

From what I can tell the lock is activated by the other arm (the lower arm in your pic).  This triggers a slide lock to come across and catch the L-shape as described above.  Its almost as if the lock mechanism no longer can sufficiently hold the door to satisfy the pressure requirements of a switch(mounted somewhere) that, when sufficiently depressed, tells the machine its safe to run.  Is that right?  

john

#4 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 10:16 AM

You need to clean out the exhaust from the dryer to the outside. You'll be shocked at what you find.

As for the washer...there were issues with these door catches. Frigidaire revised the door lock/catch about 4 years ago, and no longer manufacture the style of lock mechanism used in your machine. They now do a conversion kit , Frigidaire part number 131888900. In your situation, I'd be inclined to try replacing the catch first. Frigidaire part number 131279001, just over $7 from the link above.

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:33 AM

Recommend you read the Ultimate Dryer Venting Guide.

#6 johnl36

johnl36

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:54 AM

I replaced the catch on the door and, low and behold, it was broken as you suggested.  Replacing the catch did not however fix the problem.  The washing machine will run but only when I rest something heavy against the door.

Should I purchase the "latch" instead?  Is this something I can replace myself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics