Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Which horizontal-axis washers *don't* have a plastic outer tub??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jch

jch

Ikkō-ikki

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:39 AM

Interested in getting a horizontal-axis washer but am leery of the extra care-and-feeding of those that have a plastic outer tub.  The repeated stories of mold sound awful.

Are there any "mainstream" horizontal-axis washers that *don't* have a plastic outer tub??

Thanks!
.../j

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:38 AM

You won't find hardly any washers, (top loader or front loader), that doesnt' have a plastic tub nowdays.

I believe the Stabler that Samurai swears by is metel outer tub. The stabler is kind of a hybrid machine, top loader but horizontal-axis washer.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 August 2005 - 04:08 AM

The Staber is a great machine with a unique and robust design. It's also very serviceable and uses mechanical controls instead of a beep-beep panel. You can read more about it here:

http://fixitnow.com/...t-staber-vs.htm

#4 jch

jch

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:39 AM

[user=36]Budget Appliance Repair[/user] wrote:

You won't find hardly any washers, (top loader or front loader), that doesn't have a plastic tub nowdays.

I believe the Staber that Samurai swears by is metel outer tub. The stabler is kind of a hybrid machine, top loader but horizontal-axis washer.

Do you know whether *any* of the "mainstream" brands offer models with non-plastic outer tubs??  Siemens?  LG? Others??

I'm located in Canada.

Thanks!

.../j

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:25 AM

What is there an echo in here? If you don't like Willie's answer, then make clarifying comments. Repeating yourself in a forum where your previous reply is still there for the reading is not only rude and obnoxious, but it does nothing to futher the conversation.

Will there be anything else, sir?

#6 jch

jch

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:07 AM

Sorry about that -- didn't mean to step on any toes... I didn't realize until after I posted it that I was using the same wording -- the system wouldn't let me edit it after I pressed Send.

I appreciate the quick response honourable leader :)

I am very interested in the Staber, primarily because of:

• its all-metal construction (to prevent mold growth), and
  • its user-servicability.
but the following issues have made me want to consider other options:
[/*]
  • delivery costs here in Canada make the Staber very expensive :( 
  • I keep reading postings commenting on how noisy it is (it would be right below our young kids' bedrooms)
  • I'm also concerned about the delivery time for replacement parts since it appears that you have to order direct from the US Factory whenever a problem arises (i.e. no local parts inventory).  User-servicibility is great, but not if it puts the washer out-of-commission for a couple of weeks while the parts clear customs
  • it doesn't include a water-heater (we keep our main water heater at a low setting to avoid scalding little hands) so would like a temperature-boost in the machine itself
  • its capacity is ~30% smaller than other horz-axis machines
  • its MEF rating (i.e. how dry it spins the clothes) is 20% less than other horz-axis machines, probably because of its lower spin speed.
Are there any other non-plastic models available?

Appreciate the help,

.../j

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:13 AM

In the F/L models I really can't think of any that don't have a plastic tub now. (I don't know anything about the LG brand but kind of suspect they are plastic also, someone else can probably confirm that.)

The only top loader that I can think of is the REAL MAYTAG Dependable care machine (I believe) still has a steel outer tub.

Other than that I can't help you any further, sorry....
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:33 AM

Looked in the LG site yesterday and a photo of the rear area of the washer looks to have a white plastic tub in there, however we have not had any mold problems reported yet.  Have to leave doors/lids open, use hot water and bleach now and then to help with this problem, but some washers like the Neptune are beyond helping.  Wiping the boot dry after each days use would help.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#9 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:31 AM

Speed Queen/Huebsch, Miele and Asko as well as Staber have H-axis washers with both stainless steel inner and outer
tubs.

The Seven

#10 jch

jch

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for all your help so far--this gives me some great leads to follow-up on.

I'll post if I find any other non-plastic machines.

.../j

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics