Click here to check out our on-demand appliance repair training webinars.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

It's slow... Question on debating being employed at A&E Factory Service.

bcippola

So.. I am in the mountains of North Georgia and not alot going on. Started in the business in Atlanta 6 years ago. Thanks to this site I have learned tons. I am debating on trying to get an A&E tech position if one is available in my area. If anyone"that has actually worked or currently works for" A&E could give me insight on these questions it would be appreciated.

1. Where to find positions in my area?

2. Best way to get in front of someone for the interview at A&E?

3. What to expect from day 1 if hired? Training?Tech guides?

4. Money?? What should I expect to earn weekly?

5. Hours?

I have a local TV tech that claims he can get me alot of warranty work via GE, etc... and he has the billing set up already but techs in other states have told me it's a nightmare to get paid?

Thanks for any input you guys/gals have.

BC

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you really want to be abused by A&E Factory Service (which is nothing but a division of Sears?)

Plan on getting 10-15 calls a day, the computer will keep tabs on you and routing will know where you are every second of the day. Plan on lots of travel time in between calls, getting another tech's part orders to install, being forced to get at least 6 completed calls a day, being forced to sell extended service agreements, tons of big time consuming calls like compressor replacements, transmission replacements and outer tub replacements in washing machines.

Even though they do give you 2 15 minute breaks and a half hour for lunch, you will be taking the majority of your lunches as you are driving just to keep up with the call load they give you.

Plan on having 1hr & 10 minutes stolen from you each and every day as "part of your daily commute". Thats 5:50 overtime hrs per week that you wont be getting paid year in and year out.

Plan on having being taken advantage of, lied to and stolen from.

Plan on being sent out with little or no training on all the new stuff they keep putting out there.

Plan on being yelled at by angry customers who rightfully resent the company's inability  or unwillingness to keep its promises.

Plan on working for the worst management team in the world. Those who would send you in harms way during snow and icestorms, dangerous driving without proper tires on your vehicle as a matter of company policy.

Plan on getting little or no recognition for going above and beyond to help the customers  whose trust you have earned. You will be berated for not selling those same customers crap that they neither need nor want.

Plan on having your kids grow up without you around because youll be on the road wrecking your back.

Plan on not calling in sick ever, if you want to keep your job.

When you can no longer work 12 hours a day and drive 200 miles because the pain becomes unbearable, plan on being treated like a malingerer and a liar.

Plan on having your pension stolen when Eddie Lampert runs the company into the ground and manages to rob the pension fund.

Being a Sears tech used to be an honor and a priveledge, but not any more. I would not reccomend it. Life is just too damn short.

'Nuff said.  Sorry, we would rather tell you the truth than lie to you.

Thank you both for your honest answers. Guess I will try a little more grassroots marketing here to get my name in more customers phone books.

Thanks

BC

All this being said... I would like to increase my work load. How would you recommend I go about taking on some warranty work on my own?

Thanks

BC

• 2 weeks later...

electrolux webpage has a tab for "would you like to become a servicer"

give it a shot

• 1 month later...

Yes...the path for Whirlpool application would be:

www.servicematters.com

Hover over "Servicer Resources"

Click on "ISC Application"

One of the "perks" is that Whirlpool has a TechLine available to authorized servicers if you run into repair snags, and their customer service desk will send customers your way via their Service Locator and call reps.

Just read that Sears Holdings acquired the remaining 17% of Sears Canada from Perishable Square Capital Management.  See this link. 

[user=32100]bcippola[/user] wrote:

Thank you both for your honest answers. Guess I will try a little more grassroots marketing here to get my name in more customers phone books.

Thanks

BC

Hi bcippola,

My dad use to work for sears before it was A&E. Does not sound like it has changed much.

Do you have a website for your business?

If not that is were I would start with marketing.

18 years with Sears A&E most of what the other guys said is true, i am in a neighboring state.as of 4/11 we are no longer ovr booked daily we get 1 call at a time.at 3;30 the put the rest on you but nothing added after 5. so far the routing is better. i am working several hours less each day..but time will tell.

Archived