Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Dryer MDE8400AYW

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Master Brian

Master Brian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:46 PM

I have had this dryer for about 4-5yrs and some time ago, it stopped sensing when clothes were dry and the timer wouldn't advance.  This has the intellidry feature. 

Today, I went looking for the problem, I pulled the sensor out of the cabinet and cleaned the contacts, as they were dirty, then I lifted up the control panel and pulled out the sensor assembly for chime and dryness.  Well, it appears a transistor partially exploded/blew out.  A corner is missing and there is a black spot on the white housing for the LED lights.  Then on the printed side of the board several areas of the solder path are missing.  Mainly from the plug to the resistor that apparently had an issue. 

Obviously this needs replacing, but the question is, what might have caused this?

I'll try to look at the schematic and see what goes to that wire on the plug and post back, but anything else to look for in the meantime?

The dryer still dries, it just won't advance the timer and the sensor lights always show wet clothes.  I don't know if it will advance on timed dry, I'm trying to contact my wife to see if she knows.  I just don't do laundry and this has been an issue for some time, I was just waiting to repair until we moved the laundry room to the basement....

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 dekostop

dekostop

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

hard to say what caused it.  possibly a powersurge or shotty soldering from the manufacturer. most likely the timer will advance during the timed cycle.

i think just replacing the part should fix the problem. i would not worry too much about it.

tim

A&T Appliance Repair
941-799-1036
Serving Manatee and Sarasota counties on Florida's Westcoast

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,053 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

Can you post some good, closeup pics of the burnout, front and backside? Might give some clues as to what on the board failed and why. Use a free photo hosting service like Flickr or Photobucket and post the link here.

#4 Master Brian

Master Brian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

Ok, I checked on what the wire, it was a brown wire and it goes to the timer. 

Tim, I wish I had read your reply a bit sooner, as I was curious if something inside the timer was also fried.  Well, being the curious guy that I am and having to know how everything works, I pulled the timer apart!  Bad move, lots of levers and a couple of gears that came loose.  I will say after about 30minutes studying it, I would say I am 99.99% sure I got it back together correctly. 

The question that begs is....did something, like a gear, move to a position that will throw everything off!  Time to go hook it up, with the faulty part still hooked up and see if the timer appears to work.  At least as good as before, meaning it turns on at the correct spots and off at the correct spots.  If so, I'm going in the moring to pick up a new "dryness" board for $30, if not, I guess I'm also spending $80 on a new timer as well...  Lesson learned!:?

The good news is that there is nothing inside the timer that could have fried from the part that went bad. 

#5 Master Brian

Master Brian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

Here are the pictures.  The yellow circle shows what I believe blew up.  I believe that is a resistor.  You can see the corner missing and the burnt on the white of the LED housing.  The blue arrows show the circuit that went bad, the blue arrow with the "?" looks bad in picture, but it's back in dryer for now testing the timer out.  Which for what it's worth, turns on and off in the correct positions, but my wife told me that since the dryer stopped sensing dryness and advancing the timer, she has tried all settings and none advance.  I have the drier running for the past 15minutes to see if the 10min setting turns off.  Time to go check that....

Thanks for the help!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Master Brian

Master Brian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

For what it's worth, I ran the dryer for about 20min+ on the 10minute timed dry setting and it did NOT budge the timer, just like my wife said.  I also double checked the ciruit board and the only bad circuit I see on the back is the one from the plug to the resistor.  The arrow with the "?" appears good.

Below is an updated pic of the back of the board showing what where the resistor is and where the plug is.Posted Image

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,053 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:06 PM

Good pics! Couple questions:

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

#8 Master Brian

Master Brian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

Under the white "what's under here?" part are the red, yellow and clear(blue) LED lights that you see at the top of the backside of the circuit board picture.

I wondered about the Diodes as well, but couldn't tell clearly.  I'll go take another look and see.  If you look at the back of the circuit board picture on the upper left hand side you can see 3 solder joints just to the left of the clear/blue LED, that's the solder connection for the diodes.  From that pic they even look a bit overheated!  Again, I'll take another look!

As for the charring and the Burnt IC chip, I believe what happened is that th transistor or resistor (whatever it is) overheated and exploded.  It doesn't appear that bevel, you circled in red, is supposed to be like that.  If you look at the bottom edge of that corner, you can see where it appeared to "blow out".  That is what I believe caused the charring and the damage to the IC chip.  Must have caused a very hot flash!

That really is why I wonder if I should look at something else, like possibly the timer, but the timer doesn't have any real circuitry to it.  That is however what this burnt circuitry went to...

Trying to remember back, but not long after I bought this house, I had a wire, which may have been the 220 for the dryer short across in a junction box.  Electrician fixed it, then I had the entire service to house upgraded from 60amp to 200amp and almost all new wiring installed.  Like I said this has been a "broken" item for a while now, I just waited to repair until I moved the laundry to the basement.  I just can't recall if this happened that long ago or not.  It's been about 2yrs since we moved, about 18months since the arcing in the junction box.  Could that have caused this???

#9 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:17 PM

if there weren't any bad contacts in the timer i would just replace the dryness control...its common for them to go out.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#10 Master Brian

Master Brian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

Yes, it looks like the diodes took a hit as well. The area definately appears discolored and the solder joints as well as the leads coming out of the diodes look as if they got hot...

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:00 AM

[user=64238]Master Brian[/user] wrote:

Trying to remember back, but not long after I bought this house, I had a wire, which may have been the 220 for the dryer short across in a junction box.  Electrician fixed it, then I had the entire service to house upgraded from 60amp to 200amp and almost all new wiring installed.  Like I said this has been a "broken" item for a while now, I just waited to repair until I moved the laundry to the basement.  I just can't recall if this happened that long ago or not.  It's been about 2yrs since we moved, about 18months since the arcing in the junction box.  Could that have caused this???

That very well could have caused it.  By shorting the wires, depending on what you did you might have sent 220volts thru the dryness control board and blown that transistor out with a nice big burst of lightening.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 Master Brian

Master Brian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 05:16 AM

[user=36]Budget Appliance Repair[/user] wrote:

[user=64238]Master Brian[/user] wrote:

That very well could have caused it.  By shorting the wires, depending on what you did you might have sent 220volts thru the dryness control board and blown that transistor out with a nice big burst of lightening.

I'm hoping that was the culprit, but I just can't recall when this started and if the two are related and neither could my wife.  The electrician asked if we were trying to burn the house down and it does seem like there was a burnt smell coming from somewhere....I just can't recall if it was from the laundry or the junction box the wires shorted out in!  Gotta love old spliced together wiring!!!  (and no I didn't do it, I just bought it)

#13 Master Brian

Master Brian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:07 AM

Well, I picked up a new dryness/chime board for $30 and so far so good. It chimed, the dampness indicator changed as drying progressed as did the timer on the intelli dry settings. Haven't tried timed drying yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Now I just have to find the time to pull the back off to vacuum this beast out, lots of dust, lint, etc...

Thank you so very much for all the help and feedback!

#14 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 12 March 2010 - 10:49 AM

"Now I just have to find the time to pull the back off to vacuum this beast out, lots of dust, lint, etc..."

Your better off going through the front so you can clean the front bulk head out(filter housing).

If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#15 Master Brian

Master Brian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:32 AM

ok, thanks

#16 Nutterman

Nutterman

Ikkō-ikki

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:New Castle

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have this exact same problem on the same spot on the board but it keeps blowing. We've gone through 4 boards counting the original one. I don't have a tech sheet. If you've got one or any advice I'd sure appreciate it!

#17 Master Brian

Master Brian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

This board blew again, no idea why.  Guess I just chalk it up to an every few years expense of $30, unless someone has an idea!  Actually considering buying and keeping a spare board on hand, just in case!

Nutterman, looks like you just posted asking for the tech sheet a few days ago, I just saw it when I came looking for answers again.  I scanned it in and have in a pdf if you are still needing it, just not really sure how I go about sharing it on here.  

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,053 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

Dryness control board:  http://www.repaircli...mber=MDE8400AYW

Dryness-Control-Board-33002905-00763199.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics