Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE SmartWater SmartShield PG50T090AVH00 Pilot

mbsingleton

mbsingleton

I have a GE SmartWater (why do they use the same for heaters, softeners, dishwashers, etc -- makes searching real difficult!:X) Model: PG50T09AVH00 that was installed September 2005. 

It is installed in the attic.

A few days ago, we had a bad storm and the pilot went out.  (Don't know if it is related, but I have heard of high winds causing a vacuum and putting the pilot out).  I went up into the attic and the pilot re-lit with that piezo-electric starter thingy.  The water heated fine, but after the cycle, the pilot went back out. 

I have repeated the process at least five times now -- and I can get the main burner lit each time -- but when it goes out, the pilot goes out also.

Based on the my research, I'm thinking its probably the pilot valve assembly.  I assume that if the thermocouple was bad, it would shutdown the main burner also?

How difficult a job is it to replace the valve assembly (or whatever needs replacing)? I'm fairly handy, but have not worked much with gas appliances.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't looked at any diagrams, yet, but,

is the Pilot Flame large enough to fully surround the Thermocouple nicely ?

(dirty Orifice) ?

mbsingleton

Thanks for the quick reply.  Unfortunately, I cannot see very well into the viewport -- its blocked by a/c ductwork.  I can see the "glow" when the main is lit, but cannot get into position to actually see the pilot :(.

mbsingleton

Now I can't get the pilot to light at all. 

I called the "help" line and they suggested I check the air flow -- blocked air intake at the bottom of the heater and plugged stack.  Air flow appears to be fine.  As a matter of fact, when I checked it the main burner was still lit and I could feel the hot (really hot - ouch) discharge gas leaving the top of the heater into the stack.

Archived